Need Advice Career Change- Engineer to Solicitor

E

Emma 101

Hello.
I am seriously considering a career change and need some advice. I graduated about 1.5 years ago in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering and took up a position in a Consulting Engineering Office. The work is ok, but not great. I have always thought about becoming a solicitor but never really looked into it to now. At the minute i commute approx 2 hours every day and work a 9.5hr day which is pretty long!I was thinking about trying to get a job as a legal secretary/assistant closer to home and study for my fe1s in the evenings/weekends. When i complete my Fe1's then i might get offered a trainee position??i studied a bit of law as part of my degree and I also have some experience in engineering contracts. I hope to complete 4 exams in each sitting?
Is this a realistic plan??

I have the same background as you, BE Civil 2002,and also went for law.I've one more fe1 to pass. I studied engineering law as part of my degree also,and am trying to focus on this aspect. I have signed up to do an online course in Construction Law in Aberdeen, so I don't have to wait a year for the Trinity course.

I would caution against doing the fe1s. I presume you've read the other thread and the difficulties other people are having getting an apprenticeship. The problem for a non law law graduate is that you can only use them to get into Blackhall they're no good for anything else.After 5 years they expire,it's not a qualification for life.If you do them you will probably have to take time off work.I have not given up on Blackhall, but doing fe1s is standing out like a sore thumb on my CV. Employer's are probably questioning my motivation and I think it is proving harder to get back into the engineering industry, which is necessary for financial reasons.

Also I think Quantity Surveying is a much better qualification, there is more management potential and has more crossover with law etc

Hi emma 101,

I would suggest really thinking about it before changing career. At the moment, everyone wants to be a solicitor. There is far greater supply of trainee solicitors than demand. I am finished college 3 years & spent 2 years trying & eventually passing the fe-1s. I have a law degree but I still can't get an apprenticeship. You could find yourself in a position where you have given up a perfectly good career & can't get a job as trainee solicitor ( which is more than likely). I have spent so much time & money on Fe-1s & still don't have a job!! You don't want to end up in that position. I don't mean to be really negative but if you have read the thread on legal apprenticeships, you know the story!! Best of luck & hope it works out whatever you decide to do. Just make sure it is for you before commiting yourself .

Back