Need a ride-on mower; decided on Honda; HF2315 or HF2417 or HF2622???

Drakon

I need to get a ride-on mower and I've decided the best brand for me is Honda.
Now all I need to decide is whether to get a HF2315 or a HF2417 or a HF2622. From what I can make out from the Honda Ireland website these are the only new models available here.
I'd like to know if members have experience of these three models and what the pros and cons are?

I probably won't go with the HF2622. It's the biggest and most expensive and is probably aimed strictly at the professional market.

The other two are fairly similar but the HF2417 is that bit bigger, and costs about €600 more.

I'm leaning towards it (HF2417) though. It has mulching, a higher grass cutting heignt and a larger cuttings bag. (I've been using a borrowed push mower lately and though I know it's hard to compare, but I spend about 75% of my mowing time emptying the grass and only 25% actually mowing).

My concern about the HF2417 is that the engine is the same size as the HF2315. I've have expected that a bigger maching should have a bigger engine. So, either the HF2315 has and relatively oversized engine or the HF2417 has a relatively undersized engine. To the best of my knowledge the HF2417 is a very new model so maybe the advances have made this engine more suitable now that it would have a few years ago. I speculate.

Looking for opinions from users please.

My late father invested in a mulching ride on mower his later years and it rewarded him time after time. No grass to dispose of, no collector bag to rip or block, etc. If you go mulching, go for more powerful engine and check if the drive is belts or direct.

750 square metres at present and this may increase to 900. There are no "obstacles" worth talking about. I also cut my mother's lawn, about 350 square metres.
I have a gardening business which is "fallow" at present and I may return to this in the future, and expand it to include lawn mowing.

Mulching is great, but the lawn needs to be cut on a regular basis, and should be kept short - also the clippings when wet, will stick to everything...

17hp should be ok for such an area - again, with the mulching, it's just going to stop the clippings being routed to the grass box & thus give the grass another clipping. As these should be short clippings, should not be an issue for such horse power.

Other things that you should consider is the storage of the machine itself at night (added to your house insurance policy), regular servicing of the mower & costs. Transport of the machine etc...

Honda is a great brand - but expensive .. there are alternatives out there which are cheaper that do the same job - it's all in the looking after of your mower, regular cleaning, servicing.

The mower I've been borrowing I wash after every use. My chainsaw, strimmer and rotovator all get an annual service (despite the fact that I'm Irish), so I'll be doing the same with the ride on. Honda come with a five year warranty so long as the machine is serviced annually.

Back