Need a new lawnmower

OneAndOnly

Howdy, I recently moved house and have gone from having about 20m2 of bad grass to 170m2 of lovely new turfed lawn - laid about a month ago and needed cutting badly. Gave it a shot yesterday with my old flymo...

Not up to the job at all, got most of it done in about 90 mins but it was hard (VERY HARD) work.

I've searched previous threads, googled loads but am no better off. For 180m2 (south facing) garden what is best a petrol or electric mower?

Started out thinking a petrol one is needed but not sure now, leaning towards a good electric on the basis of less can go wrong, etc.

Please help as I'm dreading the thoughts of doing this again next week!!

Hi,
Depends on budget, how often you will cut the grass, & your time to look after the grass... I'd go for a petrol one myself.. self propelling, adjustable cut height.

I've a large area aswell & re-seeded one large section in 2009... that side is great now... was able to cut with a push mower last summer, as grass was short (was able to cut it often, twice a week to keep it at that height) & it's not used too often. Other side of garden, with influx of weed / moss & less enthusiasm to re-seed, then the petrol one comes in to get it under control & keep it under control.

To keep the grass in shape, you will need a strong motor, sharp blades & adjustable heights - not too sure if there are any electric lawnmowers out there that can give you that as good as a pertol one.

Also think of the time that you may miss a cut due to bad weather / holidays... you don't want to be struggling to get it under control again...

We have always found Mountfield to be good. Briggs & Stratton engine seems to be the best. Think I read on AAM that they're not what they used to be though. Self-propelled seems to be important to take the heavy work out of it.

I think our repair/service guy told me Honda is good.

There are many previous threads .

My mower packed in and I asked a mate who works in a small tools shop selling mowers for advice. His advice was to stay away from all the cheap toys around your budget and to go for a good second hand one. They get loads if second hand ones on trade in. He kept an eye open for me and i got a rover self propelled mulching mower with 20" blades for 225 last weekend. Retail is upwards of 750. Ring around and ask about seconds.

I bought a Honda self propelled mower last year for €575. Started first time last week after winter in the shed. Happy with it and expect to get 10 yrs + out of it. Slim

I was in B&Q in Mahon Point last week and they had a huge range of electric and petrol lawnmowers to suit all budgets. Might be worth a look if there's a B&Q outlet near you.

My 28 year old petrol Mountfield lawnmower passed away this week so I need it replaced. I have been looking at the models priced at around €300. Mostly in Woodies type establishments. They all seem very plastic with not very strong looking wheels. Most of them have a Briggs and Stratton engine though. I am concerned that the engine will lost but not the bodywork.
I have also Googled other well known makes and the price suddenly jumps to over €500 +
I would like to purchase a good Chinese make. Although they are all probably made in China these days. I need one that will have a few height adjustments for cutting the grass and will work if I walk backwards. Most of all it needs to be able to start easy without renching my shoulder or back.
Has anyone purchased a good lawnmower in the €300 price bracket recently that could give me a recommendation or will I have to throw another €200 at it.
I don't think I will be around for another 28 years so something that will last for about 15 years should do nicely.

Have a look at the HONDA ezzy range, look here

hxxp://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/lawnmowers/honda-wheeled-lawn-mowers.htm

very very easy to start

Back