Need a "career" change. Thinking of teaching

The situation you describe in the Civil Service is as it's been for as long as anyone can remember. There are tons of very capable people who took the job thinking their talents would be recognised and rewarded. They might be recognised but the beureacracy of the organsation doesn't allow for them to be rewarded. Sure, there are competitions but they're standardised to such a degree that they're at a complete remove from the day-to-day performance of individuals for whom the formal competition doesn't always suit.

You've correctly identified that the sytem is flawed and that it doesn't automatically reward hard work and/or inititiative. Do yourself a favour and get out while you still have an ounce of enthusiasm.

Hi griffid,
I talked to me friend but she wasn't much help I'm afraid. She left the civil service and went back full time as her husband’s income and the money they had saved was enough to see them through 'till she started earning again.
She did say she got a big shock going from a job where she could avoid work for days at a time to one where she was on her own in front of 30 odd kids with nowhere to hide.

thanks for that Purple. I'm reconsidering the teaching thing now though. I think I settled on it as an "easy" option but if I've no real enthusiasm for the job, it wouln't be fair on the children in the class. Any suggestions anyone would have for an alternative would be greatly appreciated cos I'm very stuck in a tunnel-visioned rut here.

This is a joke, get on to your personnel officer today and let them know that there is no work in your section and can you be moved. If you get no joy there get on to the Employee Assistance Officer. What is a replacement required for when there is no work? It is up to yourself to change things.

If you read my previous posts you'll see that's all explained and I've tried. There is a position here, it has to be filled. That simple. The employee assisstance officer said "keep trying the exams" and I have been. As you see from my, and other posts, those exams are standardised to the point of the ridiculous. Telling me to do stuff that I've already said I've tried is, I'm sorry to say, not advice.

Hi Griffid.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Why dont you run up your cv and start applying for jobs out there? I know you might feel you are not qualified do somethings but as you said yourself you have a degree, you have the enthusiam and you have the will to work. Start scanning the job pages for jobs that you think might interest you (what about HR?) and start applying outside the civil service. If you are interested you could try and do a part time IT course, I believe trinity runs one and at least youll have time during the day to study. For the record I admire your stance. All the best.

cas.

Thanks very much Casiopea. I talked to Grafton Recruitment recently, they basically said I'm unemployable (because of being stagnant for so long here) and should stay where I am cos at least I can't be fired from the Civil Service. I know I seem like a brick wall here that ye're getting sick of whamming your heads against but I really don't know what to do.

I am also a civil servant and I can understand your frustration but there must be something that can be done. If I were in your position I would begin each day by asking your EO/HEO for something to do, when you come back off break and lunch ask again. This tactic will become very tiresome for your superior and worked very well for me in a previous Dept. btw have you tried the CPSU?

griffid said:
Thanks very much Casiopea. I talked to Grafton Recruitment recently, they basically said I'm unemployable (because of being stagnant for so long here) and should stay where I am cos at least I can't be fired from the Civil Service.
Please don't let an 'off the cuff' comment from a recruitment consultant guide your career. You are not unemployable. The recruitment agency will jump at you once they have the right job for you. Keep searching.

YOur dilemma is typical of that faced by many in the CS. Going to your EO/HEO might solve the immediate problem, but you're still faced with the beureacracy associated with trying to move through the ranks.

Essentially, in the CS, one has to wait for things to happen for them rather than being in control of one's own destiny. It's an appalling situation that stifles enthusiasm and encourages fecklessness.

You sound like a reasonably enthsiastic person for whom merely getting paid isn't your only goal. I don't know what stage or life you're at or whether you're constrained by your personal/financial circumstances, but I think you should feed your enthusiasm by looking at some form of third level education that you have an interest in, rather than something you think would get you a high job (if you could achive both so much the better). Ther are several books available that might give you some guidance in this area (e.g. "what colour is my parachute"). They might prove a very worthwhile investment.

In short, I think you should consider the long-term implications of your immediate future. For example, moving back with your parents might be a bit of a pain, but balanced against your future potential, it might be a small price to pay.

If in doubt, take a look around your workplace at the people who have been ther longest. If you do nothing, you're likely to become like them. Whether you think this is something you'd aspire to is a question only you can answer.

Good luck on your journey!

griffid,

why settle on "teaching" as an "easy" option?
have you researched this fully?
have you ever tried any part-time teaching?
seek advice from teachers?

why do you view teaching as your only option?

have a read of "what colour is your parachute?"

Unregistered said:
griffid,

why settle on "teaching" as an "easy" option?
have you researched this fully?
have you ever tried any part-time teaching?
seek advice from teachers?

why do you view teaching as your only option?

have a read of "what colour is your parachute?"

Please read my other posts as most of that is answered in there already. As for the book, no I haven't read it.

mts said:
I am also a civil servant and I can understand your frustration but there must be something that can be done. If I were in your position I would begin each day by asking your EO/HEO for something to do, when you come back off break and lunch ask again. This tactic will become very tiresome for your superior and worked very well for me in a previous Dept. btw have you tried the CPSU?

No, I hadn't tried the CPSU. I asked someone once (I can't remember who though) and they didn't think the union would have any power to help me and it may be more troublesome than helpful. Hopefully the section I'm in will finish up soon but my biggest worry is that I will be put into a new section which would be just as bad as this one. I'll ask specifically to be put somewhere busy where I will be able to get the brain working again and gain some good experience but I've no faith or trust in our Personnel unit due to my experience with them so far so I am very aprehensive about this move. The worst part is I maintain that I should not be a clerical officer. Call it snobbery if you want but I think I'm too smart and capable to be wasted in a mundane lowly position where I'd spend my days photocopy, filing and typing letters that have been written by someone else, all the while thinking I could have written it better myself.

griffid said:
The worst part is I maintain that I should not be a clerical officer. Call it snobbery if you want but I think I'm too smart and capable to be wasted in a mundane lowly position where I'd spend my days photocopy, filing and typing letters that have been written by someone else, all the while thinking I could have written it better myself.

I hate to have to break it to you, but the CS is full of people who think they're too good for the positions they occupy. It should be clear to you by now that the system won't change just because it should. Do yourself a favour and get out before you get into a worse rut. Find your interests and pursue them vigourously.

You have to make things happen - it's your choice. You can blame the sytem, but if you choose to remain you'll become part of it.

Can totally see the catch 22 of it all.
I think if you have access to the net/ phone/ books you can use it to your advantage.
why dont you do a course on line?
why not do a little of your own business(e.g. sell stuff on ebay)
why not use the free time to improve yourself and then move on.
use the situation to your advantage.

I have work, where i am on days one week, nights the other.
the days are busy the nights are easy.
I use the nights to study and research things.
I think the teaching is a easy out as well. you will end up
pissed off with that if the only reason you are doing it is to get out of a rut.
chase what you love and go work at it..
failing that find a career counselor!!!
good luck

Back