Need a car - what are my options?

tinggg

Hi

I need to return to Ireland for 4/6 months (sick family member). I will probably need a small car during this time.

I would prefer not to have to buy a car and then have to sell it after this time. Do I have any more options? Can I lease a car for this period - if so how much would that usually cost? Do car hire places do discounted rates for long rental periods? I'm looking for a low cost option..if possible....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
T

Depends on where you are? If you don't have to fly, why not bring the car you have with you? You will buy a car cheaper in pretty much every other country in Europe? (Except Denmark) and drive it in Ireland VRT free as long as your not a resistant of Ireland for 6 months.

However if your not able to get the car to Ireland, you should be able to pick up a cheap runaround for under 1000 euro I would say. But you will need to tax for 6 months/nct for 2 years/insure it for a year.
Not too sure if you've you can transfer your insurance to an Irish Reg Car for 6months, would need to contact you insurer.

Try to buy a small engined Japanese car (mirca or starlet) because road tax is expensive over here. and has nct already done.

Hiring a car for 6 months would be crazy money.

Hi Mc-bigE

Thanks for your reply. I currently don't have a car so it looks like I am going to need to buy one when I get to Ireland. Can I not insure a car on a month to month basis or do all insurance companies lock you into a year?

Thanks
T

A youngish (20s) friend of mine found it cheaper to get a long-term rental car rather than buy/insure his own car in Dublin a few years back.

You must insure your car for an year, but you can get a refund if the car is taken off the road or you sell it, assuming that you have not had any claims.

The disclaimer is that I dont know for sure if this is the case with all insurers, so it might be worth asking.

Back