NCT or not!

dariuscork

What is the situation with nct,I hear now that you do not have to display a current disc and guards are only interested in tax+insurance????

What is the situation with nct,I hear now that you do not have to display a current disc and guards are only interested in tax+insurance????

Stopped 2 times in the last month at check points, I have nct but don't have it on the window as no holder, just keep it in the glove box.
Asked both times where was my nct, no problem once I showed it, but they are looking out for them.

You need to have a valid NCT cert in order to drive your car legally. This is a legal requirement. There is a fixed penalty for not having one and if unpaid a court appearance. And penalty points.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php

You were misinformed.

You need to have a valid NCT cert in order to drive your car legally. This is a legal requirement. There is a fixed penalty for not having one and if unpaid a court appearance. And penalty points.
http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php
Couldn't agree with you there. AFAIK there is no legal requirement to have an NCT to drive. Non display of an NCT could result in a court appearance and a fine but I've only ever heard of one such case. There are no penalty points for non display of an NCT cert (nor, incidentally, for not carrying a driving licence).

I am aware of one Polish national who does not have the NCT on his car. He was stopped twice in the last year and his details checked. In both cases they made no mention of the NCT and waved him on.

Thanks Dreamer, I knew it was a requirement. Gebbel, your Polish national must be lucky.

Whether its legal or not....the other question is whether your car is covered for insurance when you drive it knowing its without the NCT.
If you were involved in an accident....I very much doubt your insurance company will be giving you much backing...

Also surely if you don't have the NCT, you can tax the car?

I refer you to regulation 19 of the vehicle testing regulations. There is a legal requirement to have a valid NCT.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0771.html
Thanks for the link. I stand corrected. I thought that the possible fine was for non display rather than operating the vehicle. I suppose that in effect it's the same outcome. I've often driven cars without NCT, maybe they're tightening up on it now.
Whether its legal or not....the other question is whether your car is covered for insurance when you drive it knowing its without the NCT.
If you were involved in an accident....I very much doubt your insurance company will be giving you much backing...

Also surely if you don't have the NCT, you can tax the car?
Open to correction here but insurance companies are not concerned with NCT. And certainly one can tax a car without NCT (they scrapped the 'must have NCT to tax' requirement long ago).

Open to correction here but insurance companies are not concerned with NCT. And certainly one can tax a car without NCT (they scrapped the 'must have NCT to tax' requirement long ago).

Crikey...doesn't this make the NCT pretty pointless and probably just add to the garda burden to enforce?
If NCT was related to tax, that would solve much of the problems.

I am aware of one Polish national who does not have the NCT on his car. He was stopped twice in the last year and his details checked. In both cases they made no mention of the NCT and waved him on.

Mr. Prawo Jazdy just keeps getting away with it!

Crikey...doesn't this make the NCT pretty pointless and probably just add to the garda burden to enforce?
If NCT was related to tax, that would solve much of the problems.

Not really, your insurance wouldn't be valid without it. So in the event of an accident, you wouldn't be covered.

Not really, your insurance wouldn't be valid without it. So in the event of an accident, you wouldn't be covered.
Does your insurance policy state that it is only valid with an NCT, where applicable? Has anyone on this thread had a motor insurance claim and been asked about NCT?

Does your insurance policy state that it is only valid with an NCT, where applicable?

Doubt it. If you fail the NCT how do you get your car home from the test centre and get it to a garage for repairs and then back to the test centre? Think I'll buy a tow truck and set up shop beside a busy NCT centre !

Take the scenario whereby one's car doesn't have the NCT yet is insured. The brakes in the car fails...you crash into something or someone...you think you're insurance company will help you out in todays economic climate....getting anything back from insurance companies have always been testing at best

Does your insurance policy state that it is only valid with an NCT, where applicable? Has anyone on this thread had a motor insurance claim and been asked about NCT?

hi,

had a crash last month, rear ended someone, nct was out for about a week, insurance company paid out within a week, no mention of nct.

Back