NCT. No testing due to "changing shifts".

Tintagel

I recently called out to the NCT testing centre in Deansgrange. My test was due at around 4.30 pm. With nothing better to do I called out 45 minutes earlier in the hope that I might get my car tested quicker.

When I arrived I was told that nothing would be happening until 4.05 pm due to changing shifts.

During the 30 minutes or so that I was waiting, no cars were being tested and nobody was available to take my payment or check my documents.

Why is there no continuous testing throughout the day and why does everything have to stop due to changing shifts.

Why is there no continuous testing throughout the day and why does everything have to stop due to changing shifts.
I would imagine that there are other essential tasks that need to be done at this time. E.g. old team briefing the new team on safety/performance issues to do with the equipment, safety briefings/checks, maintenance/calibration of equipment etc. I very much doubt that 100% 24/7 efficiency is feasible in the real world.

During the 30 minutes or so that I was waiting, no cars were being tested and nobody was available to take my payment or check my documents.

Because this is the Irish way. :)

There are probably local reasons but the bigger issue is that unemployment is lower than ever before recorded in Ireland.

There are more jobs than their are workers right now.
It's great to hear we have low employment - and the side effects are crazy

I think the hours of operation have been extended, that probably accounts for the shift change. Some of the appointments can now be quite late at night or early in morning.

And a plan to bring in less trained technical assistants to deal with rechecks etc was shot down by Union I think.

I would imagine that there are other essential tasks that need to be done at this time. E.g. old team briefing the new team on safety/performance issues to do with the equipment, safety briefings/checks, maintenance/calibration of equipment etc. I very much doubt that 100% 24/7 efficiency is feasible in the real world.
Would they need to close down all the bays to do this. I certainly think that they could continue testing cars even at a reduced number, rather than close up the shop.
In Deansgrange they don't even take your payment from you, or check your documents....so when they reopen after their changed shift there is a queue of people out the door waiting to check in.

The last time I booked an NCT online, payment was taken at the booking stage. When I sold the car a few months later (before the NCT date), I cancelled and was refunded.
Might be different for phone bookings, where payment is taken on the day?

Back