NCT deadline for the 1st May.

I got a dog licence reminder the other day, it showed it was out of date since February. They didn't send it in Jan, Feb, or March. But April.

You mean that your mutt has been running around sporting an out-of-date rectangular disc, just as my car has been doing?

Although I have to say my car is NCT'd - well the older car that I own. The other car hasn't reached its NCT time birthday yet!

Just to piggyback back this thread, i have been trying the site and the phone number for the past 2 days but cant get through on any, the number wont ring and the site is constantly down with the message outlined below. What is the next step? Mine is due on the 20th of may so i thought i was leaving myself plenty of time. I only got the car last oct so i havent got any reminder.

It took me 3 days, first 2 days i was trying every so often and today i just hung up and then rang again and got through after 30 mins.

I think it's just pot luck on who gets connected and who doesn't. The first few times i though i got the wrong number, cause it's not actually the engaged tone you get. The number does work you just have to keep trying.

And if you looking for a test centre in dublin, you've not a hope of getting one before the 3rd june. I got my appointment this morning and that was the earliest time for the whole of dublin.

Thanks. No dates at all available at my nearest centre (Dundalk).

log in on regular basis as cancels dates happen very often. i also think some times they hold back avaiable dates till a certain time and half a day becomes avaiable out of no were.

We retired folk don't like to get up early!

log in on regular basis as cancels dates happen very often. i also think some times they hold back avaiable dates till a certain time and half a day becomes avaiable out of no were.

So NCT is like God, operating in mysterious ways.

Thanks.

I'm on it now trying to see if any cancellations have become available, only i cant find it. I entered all my details and all i can do i cancel or re arrange. So i went to re arrange booking but nothing came up about the cancellations list. I didnt want to click continue incase i gave up my current booking.

Anyone like to shed a little light on this subject. Although the girl today told me i hadn't much hope of getting a cancellation i'm still going to try.

sorry mum! I'll be heading that way soon.

I'm only after getting in from work, have to watch a bit of telly first and then go to bed.

I doubt it would make much difference, everyone is asking for cancellations.

Since i'm only going to be just over the due date for the nct i might not even bother, like someone said i'm sure there not going to be that nasty to give me the points, and i'm sure someone in much more need for the cancellation, it would benefit them more.

Just have to add since i found it very funny.... on the website, and i quote

"Tests can only be booked up to 5 weeks in advance."

I think maybe they should change that as my test is in 6 weeks time lol

According the the FAQ on the NCTS website:

"PLEASE NOTE: NCTS can issue your certificate up to six months early for a first time NCT and three months early for subsequent NCT tests. In other words, if your car was first registered in July and it is due for its first NCT, you can have it tested up to 6 months early in January and your certificate will still expire on the anniversary of registration 2 years later. Your certificate is then valid for 2 years and 6 months."

According the the FAQ on the NCTS website:

"PLEASE NOTE: NCTS can issue your certificate up to six months early for a first time NCT and three months early for subsequent NCT tests. In other words, if your car was first registered in July and it is due for its first NCT, you can have it tested up to 6 months early in January and your certificate will still expire on the anniversary of registration 2 years later. Your certificate is then valid for 2 years and 6 months."

That makes a nonsense of the two-year interval, and implies that the interval is not justified on any good technical grounds.

[I still can't get a date for a test.]

I do not have any sympaty with people who do not have a valid NCT on their car.

Nah there's always an exception to the rule. ;)

I imported my car almost 1 year ago with new MOT but obviously no NCT. It took me two weeks prior to importing the car to get the VRT crowd to correctly identify the car so that I could get a VRT code.

It took a further two weeks after bringing the car over to get the VRT crowd to correctly identify the car AGAIN since they'd lost the paperwork.

Finally got my Car Ownership Certificate for the wrong car.
Argued with VRT and had the Cert sent back to Ennis.
Cert was changed and got a new one.... which was for the wrong car AGAIN.
Sent it back and got another Cert, which is STILL WRONG!

Never got sent a NCT reminder.
Booked it in myself for 7th April (prior to Govt announcement re: NCT)

Sent it to a garage on 2nd April for a quick service and the garage blew up the engine.

The car is currently on a car transporter back to the UK for the replacement engine.

I had to cancel my NCT booking for April. Next available date is 11th May. The car won't return to Ireland until 1st May.

I blame the Govt and its Departments for being totally incompetant :D

I eventually got a date for my NCT (next week). So I am still driving around with out-of-date certification.

Yesterday I was stopped by Gardai conducting one of their general vehicle/driver checks. It was slightly more thorough than average -- they don't often ask to see a driving licence. The guard had a good look at my "discs". Tax and insurance are fine, both recently renewed (big hole in bank account). I am sure that he saw that the NCT was expired, but he didn't even mention it.

My car is due in july just tried naas and fonthill on the website and there is nothing to be had for months.

This will end up being some mess.

Back