NCT Court Summons

VonLinus

Hi

I have a query maybe someone can offer some advice.

I was stopped at a checkpoint last year, in late July, and didn't have a valid NCT certificate. I told the guard at the time that I had a test scheduled for early august (giving the exact date), but I couldn't produce any documentation as I didn't have my phone with the text the NCT centre sent. I received a summons the other day, so now I'm trying to get the NCT centre to to mail me out the details of the booking, so I can prove I was rectifying the situation when I was pulled over. The car passed the inspection 2 weeks later, and I had made the booking in June, which was still a few months outside the valid date of NCT.

What are the odds that I can get this stopped before it goes to court if I provide the guard with this information? Also, if this does go to court, am I liable for the new penalty points considering the offence was committed and the charge was made before the change in the law?

Also, I'm an idiot.

I'd advise you to try and contact the Garda that stopped you by paying his station a visit or giving them a call and asking if you can see him. Bring your NCT certificate with you and also the copy of the test they carried out which shows the date on it. Hopefully he will be understanding enough to ask for the case to be struck out in court

Make the request for the data on all NCT records in relation to you under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and the Data Protection Amendment Act 2003. The NCT must give you this information within 40 day's of receipt of the request and appropriate fee - which cannot exceed €6.35.

Get whatever info you can from the NCT. In writing. Ideally, proof of when the booking was made, which obviously pre-dates your meeting with the Garda.

You'll probably struggle to get to talk to the Garda in the days before court. They rarely return calls (no backlash, please - just personal experience!!). But speak to him on the morning. If it all seems cool, you'll have to wait for your case to be called, identify yourself to the judge, then the Garda will strike it out. It'll take ten seconds.

If you're unlucky, the law prevailing on the date of the incident will apply.

Good luck!

Back