NCT and Run Flat Tyres

C

City_Guy28

Hi All,

My car currently has run flat tyres (hence no spare tyre and a million pains in my head!) and I want to change them to normal tyres. Does anyone know if the car will pass the NCT with non-run flats and no spare tyre? I could also buy the foam injectors - would this be enough?

Thanks

Below is a table of their current stats, so make sure you have checked everything.I am not sure about the flat tyres.

2010 test results
pass=51.9%
fail refusal = 47.6%
fail dangerous= 0.5%

NOTES
1. Any tyre or wheel examination must be performed with the vehicle raised on the lift to ensure that all
parts of the wheel and tyre can be examined thoroughly.
2. Examination is confined to tyres fitted to the road wheels. If, however, any defect on a tyre carried on a
spare wheel is seen, the driver should be advised.
3. Tyres designed for recutting or regrooving will normally be marked as regroovable.
4. The evidence of any tyre wear or damage in the full lock and full suspension bounce conditions should be

noted when making the ratings above (see also Reasons for Failure No. 29 page 70).

[broken link removed]

That would suggest they don't check for a spare or even if it exists.

One of our cars has regular tyres, no spare. It does have a foam kit and compressor. It passed the NCT, never occured to me the NCT might check this.

I put a 320D thru NCT last Oct. Its on Run Flats, no spare, had to put 2 new tyres on pre test and it sailed thru test. Spare wheel never discussed.

Secman

your car will pass 100%.
its advisible to have a spare but the NCT will only inspect the spare if its there (if they do even inspect it).
i put a 2005 E90 BMW 320d through last year with run flats removed and replace with standard 18" tyres without any issues.

Back