Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard?

Mizen Head

Am visiting Cape Cod, with for a few days in mid Sept and want to go on a day trip to either Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard. I see there are fast ferries to both from Hyannis.

I am interested in a bit of biking/hiking, sightseeing for the day.

Which island would you pick of the 2, for a day trip?

I'd go to Martha's Vineyard. I worked on one of those ferries for a summer a few years ago (before they were fast). Plenty to see and do on the Vineyard and decent roads for biking.

If you're only on a day trip, I'd go to Nantucket (having worked there for the summer, not Martha's!) - smaller and easier to get around in 1 day - good cycle paths and you'd see most of the island in the day - weather being good, go to Surfside for the beach; weather not so good - go out to Sconset for the cycle and the lifestyle homes out there! if you have time for dinner (which you should really build in) go to Black Eyed Susan's - probably my fav restaurant of all time (you need to get there at 6 (iirc) to book at the front door with Susan herself taking the bookings

Hi Trent + doogo

Thank you both for advice. Will probably go to Nantucket ....as it is a little less known. Am really looking forward to seeing it.

i spent 2 fab summers working in Nantucket, i loved it, while there i visited Martha's a number of times, Nantucket is far nicer, way prettier, there are lovely parts to martha's but very dingy parts too, unlike with Nantucket. Nantucket has fab beaches everywhere, it's quant & very picturesque, now is a nice time it'll be buzzing there, starts to wind down end of the month, hire a moped & go around the island, gorg restaurants/bars, it's just got a lovely atmosphere there, the harbour with all the fancy boats is fab! as you can gather i loved it and must go back, i've great memories of the place, if there's a down side it's that it's pricey there but that's what makes it a class apart from Martha's, it's like old world! enjoy it, i'm green with the envy!

Hi Legalhawk and Doogo

I have just returned yesterday from Boston and my trip to Hyannis and Nantucket. It was all you both made it out to be....beautiful, and stunning. We took the 2 hour bus tour in the morning, had lunch in Black Eyed Susans. weather was Brilliant. The town was not too busy, and the shops are lovely, if a bit pricey.

We took the Fast Ferry (1 hour) which was a very nice boat trip. The fare was $77 return, which seems a bit stiff.

We liked Nantucket so much we returned on the next day, and did the cycling around the island. This time we flew from Hyannis (Barnstable) airport on a 9 seater ($71 return) The plane journey takes 20 mins, flies at 1,000 feet and gives great views over the island and Hyannis.

So, if anyone is thinking of Cape Cod, I would certainly recommend a trip to Nantucket.

Really glad you enjoyed it! i really must go back some time soon, such fond memories of the island. i have done the flight out there many a time and it is fab, unreal views on a clear day! i think an island of it's kind will always be a little pricey but it's worth it!

Back