My Trip to Belfast & Lisburn , my savings . .

That's why it is so good to make the savings now!

They might not be there in future.

Indeed, but when you consider that Irish consumers have been spending like drunken sailors for the best part of a decade and as a group are among the most indebted in the world, you would have to wonder about the wisdom of continuing to do so.

Indeed, the consensus among economists and commentators in the likes of the Financial Times is that the recent bout of UK interest rate cuts will lead to significant price inflation in the UK in 2009 and beyond.

Its a hard one to call though, its pretty evident that Consumer spending has nosedived there too, thus the unprecedented Retail Sales in November and the Government moving to reduce VAT. I think the fear people have about the security of their jobs is greater than the sum of lower interest rates and lower VAT even combined with Retail Sales, and of course fuel charges are lower now due to the lowering of oil prices, so there aren't really too many factors which would contribute to inflation.

Bought 3 and 2 seater natuzzi sofas in House of Fraser Belfast. €600 cheaper than HoF Dundrum, so yes you will cover the cost of your petrol/hassle if you look for the right things.

Whilst it sounds like an oxymoron, 'spending to save' can be a very sensible approach - e.g. I buy bottled fizzy water, squash, pet food, alcohol, meat/fish (which I freeze) etc etc...all in NI and all in bulk.

Initially, spending more than I would on a weekly shopping budget, but ultimately, making considerable savings.
Yes of course that makes sense, obviously some people are genuinely saving by going North but I'm getting the impression people are just using it as an excuse to continue spending and I was wondering is their anyone who is actually cutting back on spending (and therefore saving) and how they are doing that.

Yes of course that makes sense, obviously some people are genuinely saving by going North but I'm getting the impression people are just using it as an excuse to continue spending and I was wondering is their anyone who is actually cutting back on spending (and therefore saving) and how they are doing that.

In my case:

1. Going to shops less often - sounds stupid but it works!
2. Avoiding Centra and Spar like the plague. Even the independent corner shops (what's left of them :( ) are cheaper.

I see your point. They might save 200euro on a TV but do they really need the tv in the first place ?

A lot of the publicised savings seem to be on non-essentials - booze , electricals and the like.

I see your point. They might save 200euro on a TV but do they really need the tv in the first place ?

A lot of the publicised savings seem to be on non-essentials - booze , electricals and the like.

Ah, I think everyone should be entitled to spend their money on luxuries and there is no better luxury than when you think you have got a bargain.

There is plenty of booze being bought at my local Super Valu. People are going to buy it whatever!

Back