My lawn is in really bad condition. Help!

Hillsalt

My front and back lawn are both in bad condition after the winter. Both my neigbours have better lawns. Neither neigbours are avid gardeners.

It's patchy and yellowish in parts. There isn't a lot of moss or weeds TBH. Up to two years ago I had great grass every year. Last summer it was just OK.

I haven't cut my grass yet this year. I raked all of the dead weed and crap out of today. We don't have any pets, if that's relevant.

What can I do?

Give it a cut , it is bound to be long after the winter . if you give it some sulfate of iron, they use it for greening up cabbage it will green it up without turning it into silage & driving it crazy. Keep the nitrogen content low or you will be cutting it every 3-5 days

You might want to prong (use fork) the lawn to aerate the soil (if it is compacted) as well as feed it. If there's little or no moss the soil is likely to be quite dry, is this the case? If there's few weeds the soil is poor, weeds need good fertile soil. Feeding will help, but also check soil structure. Pick up some soil, squeeze it in your hand, if it compacts and doesn't fairly easily break up when prodded the soil is clayish, and will probably need horticultural sand added . A good, general product for lawns is Gouldings lawnfeed, moss and weedkiller. A bit more expensive that the rest, but worth the few more bob.

We have had a problem with moss in our garden for a number of years. Each year we put down the moss killer and the moss turned black and died off. We then had the backbreaking job of raking the dead moss off the lawn and then planting new lawn seed etc. Before we knew it the summer was nearly over. The next year the same thing over again. Our neighbour's lawn was full of moss and we have assumed that the spores couldn't wait to travel in to our garden.
This year we have embraced the moss. It is our friend. We will be happy to co-exist with our new friend and enjoy a glass of Prosecco together.

Actually slurryslump, I kind of agree. Moss can be very attractive. It''s lovely on trees or stones, walls etc. It does however kill grass, but if yer not bothered, then so be it!

You might want to prong (use fork) the lawn to aerate the soil (if it is compacted) as well as feed it. If there's little or no moss the soil is likely to be quite dry, is this the case? If there's few weeds the soil is poor, weeds need good fertile soil. Feeding will help, but also check soil structure. Pick up some soil, squeeze it in your hand, if it compacts and doesn't fairly easily break up when prodded the soil is clayish, and will probably need horticultural sand added . A good, general product for lawns is Gouldings lawnfeed, moss and weedkiller. A bit more expensive that the rest, but worth the few more bob.

Thanks. Today, i cut it, forked it and put down some lawn feed.

I'm wrecked ....and slightly sunburnt.

Good exercise!:) And it was a nice day for it. Brush in some lawn sand for the pronged holes if soil is compacted. It will control moss, and help the structure.

Thanks. Today, i cut it, forked it and put down some lawn feed.

I'm wrecked ....and slightly sunburnt.

Make sure you give it a good watering too after feeding or aim to feed a day or two before rain. I'm not sure when rain is forecast again, but you could give it a quick hosing tomorrow early morning or late evening.

Agree with RonanC, I should have said to make sure you water in feed/weedkiller within 3 days of no decent rain. This is mucho importante!

Good exercise!:) And it was a nice day for it. Brush in some lawn sand for the pronged holes if soil is compacted. It will control moss, and help the structure.

What exactly is Lawn Sand? I scoured my local B&Q and had no luck.

I've found this to be an excellent site with lots of helpful advice on all things lawn related. The site is divided into 3 sections (Novice, Amateur and Enthusiast) so you can easily pick the right level of detail for your own situation.

[broken link removed]

worth a read if you want advice on how to tackle a problematic lawn.

They also sell lawn care products but I've never used them and have no affiliation with them,

I've found this to be an excellent site with lots of helpful advice on all things lawn related. The site is divided into 3 sections (Novice, Amateur and Enthusiast) so you can easily pick the right level of detail for your own situation.

[broken link removed]

worth a read if you want advice on how to tackle a problematic lawn.

They also sell lawn care products but I've never used them and have no affiliation with them,

Cheers. It is surely a safe bet to take lawn care advice from someone who uses the name MEADOW.

Back