My GF and I are moving to NL.

reboca

She is dutch and i am irish. Is it true she can claim back ALL the tax she paid during the 3+ years shes worked here? Is she entitled to anythign else as shes the one whos badly stuck for cash.

Thanks for reading.

She is dutch and i am irish. Is it true she can claim back ALL the tax she paid during the 3+ years shes worked here?
Don't think so - who told you/her that this was possible? If you/she move to Holland and work then I presume that any double taxation agreement between the two countries will dictate how your annual earnings (some here, some there) will be taxed.

Would agree with ClubMan. You may have heard what is likely another one of those "urban tax legends" which do the rounds continually with no actual basis in legislation. However if you check with Revenu in IRL and NL they may be able to clarify this for you.

If you leave to go abroad permanently you can claim "split year relief" - you get your full tax credits and rate bands for the year against your income up to the date of departure.

To claim this send your P45 with a Form P50 to the Revenue.

Domo - do you have any links (e.g. to the Revenue site) to info about this? Does any double taxation agreement impinge on this situation?

I received "split year relief" for year I returned to Ireland. Full tax credits for rate bands for 6 months of the year....AFAIK Domo is correct in saying it applies for the year of departure too.

I received "split year relief" for year I returned to Ireland. Full tax credits for rate bands for 6 months of the year
Are the earnings to that point then assessable for tax in the destination country possibly with some relief under the relevant double taxation agreement?
....AFAIK Domo is correct in saying it applies for the year of departure too.
What do you mean "too"? Surely it's only applicable to the year of departure? Are you saying that this relief can be backdated to previous years? I find that difficult to believe.

Oh - just found [broken link removed] on www.revenue.ie in case it's of relevance:
4.5. I am going abroad and have not used up my full tax credits for the tax year in which I leave. How do I claim a refund of tax paid?

You can claim a refund of tax paid by supplying the following details to your local tax office:
  • a completed claim form P50 (available from your local tax office or from our website [broken link removed]
  • your P45 (available from your employer) if you are leaving your existing employment);
  • a completed return of income form 11 (also available from your local tax office or from our website); and
  • a statement to the effect that you are going to live abroad permanently or in such circumstances that you will not be resident in Ireland for at least the following tax year.

thanks for the excellent info there lads, thanks. I earn 22k shes on about 27. Could be a few grand surely from this? We would need it as set up money in holland.

Are the earnings to that point then assessable for tax in the destination country possibly with some relief under the relevant double taxation agreement?

It depends on the country. As you subsequently pointed out, the Irish authorities don't care what you earn in the other country for the remaining period of the split year.

However this varies across the EU. For example the German authorities do take you income abroad into account when claiming back German income tax in the case of split year treatment. A Dutch guy who got hit by this "extra" tax he wasn't expecting took them to court but lost his case. So I would assume that the Dutch authorities don't take foreign earnings into account when handling split year claims. Of course you should check this point out with someone qualified in Dutch tax law.

What do you mean "too"? Surely it's only applicable to the year of departure? Are you saying that this relief can be backdated to previous years? I find that difficult to believe.

I think he's implying that it applies to the year of arrival too. That was the case for me when I left Ireland half way through a year, and subsequently returned half way through a different year.

look at www.taxback.ie

they specifically look at getting tax returns for people working abroad.

They can advise you if you are entitled to a refund.

Be aware that if you decide to go through them, they take a big commission out of any tax rebate.

Back