Must consecutive written warnings be related to the same type of issue?

TTI

Hi,

I'm trying to help someone gather their facts about an unfair dismissal. I searched for information about this and couldn't find anything exact for Ireland.

1) If a written warning has no time period on it, what is the general accepted timeframe of validity - 3/6/12 months?
2) If there is a second and subsequent written warning should these be for the same type of issue?

From Google in South Africa (not Ireland):
c) Must consecutive warnings always be for the same offence?

For warnings to be consecutive, i.e. a first, second and final warning with each following from the prior warning, the warnings should be of a similar nature. In other words, warnings relating to time keeping offences would run consecutively, warnings relating to quality of work would run consecutively, etc. If an employee is on a final warning for time keeping but commits an offence relating to quality of work, then the final warning will have no bearing on the offence relating to quality of work.
[broken link removed]

Have you been given a full copy of the company's disciplinary procedures? If not, ask for them now. You are entitled to these, and they must be unambiguous and fair.

1) If a written warning has no time period on it, what is the general accepted timeframe of validity - 3/6/12 months?

The Law Society template for disciplinary procedures states 12 months as the period of validity for warnings. But that's just a template, your company may set their own periods, and have a different duration for each stage. All this must be documented in their procedures.

2) If there is a second and subsequent written warning should these be for the same type of issue?

That would normally be the case, however, earlier stages of the process can be skipped depending on how serious they consider the issue.

Take a look at the Workplace Relations site for guidance on Irish legislation.

Back