multi point lock

10to1

Has anyone bought a multi point lock and fitted it to an exterior wood door. I'm afraid if I use a Chubb or similar single point lock that in time the door may warp slightly comprimising the draught seal.

Why would a properly fitted 5 lever mortice deadlock (e.g. Chubb) cause the door to warp? In fact, if it's fitted properly then, when locked, will help to seal the door against any draught seal.

Maybe so - we have two Chubbs on our door (one near the bottom and one about half way) in addition to the standard Yale barrel lock and the (cheap and nasty) door hasn't warped in the past 10 years as far as I can see. How much do these multi-point locks cost and are they worth it from the point of view of security and protection against door warping?

Hi Clubman - here's a link to one in the UK - Munster Joinery use the Ferco brand [broken link removed]Lock is about 140 euro + vat but price varies according to spec

I want to avoid having to use three keys as in your case if possible. The simple pull up of the door handle activates the lock in 3 or 5 points depending on what you buy and just one key.

Fair enough - I'm sure that there are other pros and cons between multipoint locks and more conventional 5 lever mortice deadlocks. It would be interesting to get a comprehensive list of them if anybody can advise?

I don't think a lock will prevent a door warping, if the door is so inclined, it will warp. This may result in the lock becoming very stiff as the bolts move out of allignment, or with more significant warping, it may even become impossible to engage the lock.
Leo

The key to preventing a door warping is the decoration. On brand new houses the front (hardwood) door may get a single coat of stain to protect it from the worst ravages of the weather whilst under construction. Often the rear (internal) face may be left bare until handed over. This results in unequal absorption of moisture thro' the unpainted surface vs. the sealed exterior surface. This can lead to a door warping or twisting out of true. Multi-point locking systems are excellent where security is concerned as a potential burglar will have to attack 3/ 5 bolts as opposed to a single latch/ bolt.They will contribute to keeping the door straight and true in that once locked the dor is effectively clamped on both long edges- multipoint lock on on side, 1 1/2 pairs hinges on hinged side- the door cannot move.

Hi Carpenter. Have you ever seen one put in to a wood door as an after market job? The Munster Joinery door has a double seal unlike mine and I was wondering apart from needing a precise routing job done would the little wheel like rollers that make up part of the locking system look out of place.

I don't think a retrofit would be as successful as a factory fitted unit- afterall if it's not done well you could make s*** of the door! In fact the Munster joinery lock is really only suited to the rebated frame style they use. I think the addition of a "chubb" like mortise lock to a standard door (as with Clubman's door) is a very good alternative to the factory fitted multi point lock.

Back