Moving the oil tank

philipb

We are hoping to have a new patio laid and would consider moving the oil tank (by approx 8 feet) to a more suitable (less intrusive) location.
We would also like to re-route the pipe from the oil tank to the burner, probably under the new patio. The pipe currently runs a very indirect route under the garden, then under the house.
Are there any potential pitfalls/problems to consider to either of the above? And does anyone have an idea how much the job might cost? Many thanks.

Just be careful when your digging out the pipe. I heard a horror story involving a JCB pullling an underground oil pipe, the pipe breaking at the boiler and the entire tank of oil emptying into the house.

The house was timber frame, soaked the kero into the frame and had to be demolished. Urban myth perhaps but definitely would make you thing twice about careless digging near oil pipes!

Trilogy.
Are you sure your not mixing up the incident with a recent episode of Coronation Street where apparently a volcano erupted in the street, a passing train fell into the hole and the ash plume caused a jumbo jet to crash into the queens arms.

We had this done, last year and paving stones were laid over. The tank was only moved about 4or5 feet from its original location.
Make sure your tank is as empty as possible for the move as it should make things easier and would avoid that other incident that Trilogy mentioned:)

Trilogy.
Are you sure your not mixing up the incident with a recent episode of Coronation Street where apparently a volcano erupted in the street, a passing train fell into the hole and the ash plume caused a jumbo jet to crash into the queens arms.

Maybe thats how it goes actually. As I say I cant verify the story's authenticity but it is a good one for the pub on a Friday night!

Thanks for the input guys - Graftgirl... did you do the job yourself or pay someone?

I can't help with all of your query, but i know you can get someone to help with moving the tank.

If there's oil in the tank you will need to get someone who can bunker the oil in a mobile tank while the tank is being moved. They will then put the oil back into the tank at the new location.

This would cost around €100. Ask your oil company for a referral, they should know someone reliable who offers this service.You would have to co-ordinate your plumber to be there at the same time so that the tank can be moved and refilled the same day.

How old is the tank? there have been issues with some oil tanks splitting along seams. Also depending on the age, there would be some sludgy deposit in the base of the tank and if it's an old tank i would nearly be inclined to buy a new one. A new tank would be €200/€300 depending on size.

If you're planning on filling the tank, oil is so expensive at the moment it might be better to wait until the price drops a little (this sometimes happens in the summer months but can't be guaranteed)

Regarding oil spilling out into the graden, it can and does happen, whether its from a leak in the tank or piping being damaged. It can be extremely expensive to sort. The EPA have to be informed, the land dug out and disposed of properly, possible insurance claim. It would be a nightmare. So whoever's doing the job (s) make sure they're fully qualified and insured.

I don't know how much it would cost for the other parts of the job with the pipework etc. sorry!

let us know how you get on.

Thankyou for the earlier advice... finally getting around to doing this, having left the oil diminish. Final question - what base should we get for the tank in its new location (currently an old flower bed). Will paving slabs suffice? Or should we get some concrete set?
NB: By the way, quotes for this job (sourced from onlinetradesmen.ie) ranged from an average of around 200-300.... but there was also an "ambitious" one at 1200 euro...

Best practice is a 100mm thick concrete base on 100mm well compacted hardcore (upto 300mm hardcore if very soft ground, check with heel test). Base should extend minimum of 300mm around all sides of the oil tank to prevent vegetation growth under oil tank (fire risk). Raise with cemented blocks to level minimum of 300mm above the top of the oil burner. Lay 150mm reinforced concrete lintels over blocks, approx 6no to support the whole of the base of tank.

Make sure that a bunded tank is not required before spending on a single skin tank.

Back