Moving job - Bonus due - should I receive it ?

Pique318

Hi all,

I've just been offered a new job which I intend accepting.

My current job entitles me to a bonus during the year based on my performance (which was strong).

However, the bonus has not yet been paid and I may be gone before the payroll date for the bonus.

Am I entitled to receive the bonus as it is based on my performance for 2007? The relevant policies do not include this particular situation and so I think they may refuse it to save money as their policies do not explicitly say that they should pay it.

Any ideas ?

Bonuses are usually discretionary so they are probably entitled not to pay you. Suppose it depends if they have already offered you the bonus and told you that you will be recieving one and for how much. I think there is already a thread on this if you do a search.

Might be something useful among ?

What, if anything, exactly does your contract say about the payment of such bonuses and how they might be affected by leaving?

usually you have to still be an employee of the company to get the bonus, however , it does all depend on the t&c's in your contract. Otherwise it's best to discuss it with your manager

If you worked the year, you should get that bonus, but if no tangible structure to Bonus scheme , what stops company giving you minimal / no bonus.....

Failure to pay may lead you to evaluate legal options, LRC , employment courts etc ...

Bugga, found it hidden in the depths of the policies.

Not payable to those who have handed in their notice :(

If you worked the year, you should get that bonus, but if no tangible structure to Bonus scheme , what stops company giving you minimal / no bonus.....

Failure to pay may lead you to evaluate legal options, LRC , employment courts etc ...

The bonus is just that...a bonus. They do not 'have' to give you one.

i left my job a few years ago on the day the yearly bonuses were being paid and was told that i couldn't receive it

Tell your new employer that you'll have to hang on to get your bonus, unless of course they offer to buy it out (i.e. pay you the bonus instead).

A few years ago I left a job that paid an annual performance bonus mid way through the year. At the end of the year I still got a pro rate bonus proportionate to the % of the year that I did work with the company ( I left 2/3rds way through and got paid 2/3rds of annual bonus).

You are entitled to any bonus earned before your leave date.
As previously stated, many times, it depends on the contract/policy.

The OP has already clarified that his policy states that the bonus will not be paid to those who have handed in a notice.

Back