Moving from private to public sector

stresshead

I currently work in the private sector, in a large, multinational, US-based company. I’m earning €46K per year, plus 10% bonus, and am quite happy with my pay. There is also room for negotiating a raise this year as I have just received a masters degree.

However…the hours and pressures are terrible. I have not yet had a weekend off in 2008, I work usually 12-hour days at minimum, and in general my quality of life is poor (and I don’t get paid overtime or time-in-lieu). I could not even dream about having any activities outside of work, and naturally relationships with family and friends suffer! I don’t have kids, but know that if I did I could not continue as I am. Also it could all go bust tomorrow (although I do not believe that is imminent).

I have been thinking a lot about moving into the public sector (although not civil service), and there are 2 options open to me:

1. A job paying €41-49 K on a scale, the pros are that it would be a lot less stressful, and quite different to what I’m doing at the moment. The cons are I will not be able to use the skills or education I have at present, and I am not sure how much opportunity I would have to move around, or up.

2. A job paying €35 (though it may be possible to negotiate a bit more than that – again it is a scale but I have heard you don’t have to start at the bottom if you have experience. So maybe I could negotiate to €38K. The pros are that I would be in an area in which I could use my skills and education, AND there are higher level jobs coming up regularly in the area, which are hard/impossible to get into from the outside. The cons are that I would be taking a step back in terms of level of responsibility, and also it would mean tightening the belt in the medium-term.

For any of you who have moved private to public, and vice versa – if you have any advice I would be really grateful. My heart tells me option 2 is more for me, however while I would be happy to tighten the belt for a year or two, I would really like to move up a grade quickly. I would be able to pay mortgage etc., but holidays etc would be forgotten – and I haven’t had one of those in 3 years thanks to work!

Any opinions?

I'm shocked that you have such a tough job with those hours and weekend work for not a lot of money (about €50k salary and bonus all in). Am I right in thinking you are working 6-7 days for that - you need to do something about that before it does you damage.

I don't think you mentioned the field you are in - what is it?

You would need to be on double that kind of money to expect that kind of grief/hours. I would get into the public sector asap if I were you because you are being taken for a ride where you are. A 5-10k reduction in basic salary for a 35 hour week sounds like a great swap for someone in your position.

RE Option 1. Would you be able to use your education and skills in a part-time way outside of your day job if you took this option? You say you have a Master's. Lecturing perhaps? Tutoring at training colleges/third level colleges?

Is double jobbing a good idea ie. lecturing at third level college and day job in the light of certain lecturer (West of Ireland) who came to a sticky end as a result of having a foot in 2 camps

Stresshead,

I work in the public sector and I have no complaints whatsoever. Maybe that there is some lack of career progression options but I'm doing ok enough. The only pitfall is that most public agencies are obliged to start you on the bottom of the scale. Not all of them adhere to it, but in theory that's the way it is supposed to be. Either way, the scales usually go up quickly enough and the benefits you get for working in the public sector are very good. Your current job sounds like hell!

Hey thanks for all the advice! I know I need to get out and I can't go on like this! I guarantee that by the summer I will be out! Hopefully sooner....

I switched from private, hi-tech, US multinational to public sector (agency, not civil service) a few years back, taking a fairly savage 30% approx cut in salary at the time, and I've never looked back since. I'm probably earning around the same hourly rate now as before, I'm just spending about 30% less hours at the office.

Promotion can be difficult, especially in the smaller agencies. It may be difficult or impossible to get a starting salary above the lowest point on the scale, given the current rulings from Dept Finance.

it's always more fulfilling to be in a position where you apply your chosen field of expertise. Whether this increased sense of fulfillment is worth foregoing several thousand euro a year is something only you and your family can decide.

is there any chance that the higher paid of the two alternatives may offer any FUTURE scope to apply your particular expertise?

is there any chance that the higher paid of the two alternatives may offer any FUTURE scope to apply your particular expertise?

No that is not a possibility – the higher paid job is a complete step away from what I have been doing – it would be very much a admin function, albeit a “senior” one.

The more I think about it the more inclined I am to go for the lower paid job with the prospects – I would just like to know there is something I could work towards. I might try living on the lower amount for the next couple of months to get used to it – and save the excess!

Regarding going in on a salary higher than the minimum for the grade – I know it has been done in the past in this body but they could have tightened up on it since then!

I’m changing my mind hourly at the moment….

Is double jobbing a good idea ie. lecturing at third level college and day job in the light of certain lecturer (West of Ireland) who came to a sticky end as a result of having a foot in 2 camps

I think that was because the two jobs were supposedly full-time posts and both were lecturing jobs! :D

Move -I did never regretted it - I was taking a large enough drop which made me hesitate but then I got started above the bottom of the scale and now no difference except I have an interesting job with loads of variety and no commute

Back