Moving and giving up job - effect on entitlements?

Green

I was wondering what is the position in regard to unemployment entitlements for someone who resigns a job because they have moved to a different part of the country. E.g. if some one moves from dublin to cork and gives up a job, what is the impact on their unemployment entitlements? thanks

I have been considering this recently, as I would desperately like to get out of Dublin but the job situation seems to be a lot worse elsewhere in the country.

Basically as far as I know and as much as I've read, social welfare offices can't use you moving somewhere with less job prospects etc as a reason to delay or refuse entitlement payments (the way I see it is, you may move from Dublin to Cork lets say because there is a lower cost of living i.e. rent). They have to treat you like any other person coming in to sign on for what you are entitled to. I think there is a significant wait period when you voluntarily leave a job, possibly 9 weeks but I'm open to correction.

You may be disqualified from payment for a number of weeks, depending on your individual circumstances.

Back