Moved house - rent allowance stopped

cizzy

Hi All,

I have been on RA since January but i moved to a more affordable house in last week. I went to my CWO with the details of my new address which is the only thing that has changed about my circumstances. This morning i received a letter stating that i was being refused because of my asssable means which is €382 per week. This consists of LPA at €230, half rate JSB at €102 and maintenance of €50. I was getting €42 a week RA and I am now going to be down over €160 per month which is a lot of money.

I would be very grateful if anyone with any knowledge of the RA system could help me shed some light on it or advise if it worth my while appealing the decision.

How much was your rent at previous address and what is your rent now?

Since you said you were moving to a more affordable house i'm assumming the rent is less. If the rent is less in the new house by €160 or more a month then your not actually losing anything, cause you weren't paying it in the first place. What you paid towards your rent at both places will still be the same.

If it's not less than €160 then maybe there was an error in the calculation. With the letter did it have all the calculations included?

Previous rent was €750 and now €700 which is my new limit so there is only €50 in the difference and they reduced the payments a few weeks ago. There are no calculations on the letter that i received this morning only that at this time they cannot help me out. It means I am down €42 a week which is a hell of a lot of money to me at the moment. I'll phone the appeals office on Monday morning, nothing to loose anyway.

Based on the figures in your original post - your weekly income is €152 above the basic SWA rate (which is the same as your One Parent Family payment). In addition, you must pay €24 euro per week yourself towards the rent. This means that you are required to pay €176 per week. €700 per month works out at 161.50 per week which is why you don't qualify.

Back