Move house for schools?

homeseller

Hello there,

We have currently put our house on the market and have had good interest (although no offers!).

We are considering leaving the area we are in - we have 3 boys and there is a clear absence of very good secondary schools in the area.
There is an average school within walking distance.

Our major downside is that we would be moving away from family - meaning a 1 hour commute when they are literally on our doorstep (good and bad - I know).

We think we would be making the right move for boys in academic terms but think we might be isolating ourselves?

Views much appreciated!!

I guess you would be making the right move for all the right reasons. Your children's education and future should be first on your priority list. When we were going to buy our house, we didn't really want to pull the kids out of thier school (as it was a good school anyway) so we payed a bit more for a property in the same area even when we had cheaper offers elsewhere. By the way not everyone has the luxury of living close to family. And the likes of us who don't, have managed very well without them. If you had to choose, which would you go for?

(a) seeing your family everyday, while your children stay at home cos they can't get a good sec school around

(b)Have your children enrolled in a good school close to home, and seeing your family occassionally. (remember your family are only a phone call away)

I would definetly move away from family if it means my children getting into a GOOD school. Your children are not only your future but also the future of the nation. Good Luck with your decision.

We are considering leaving the area we are in - we have 3 boys and there is a clear absence of very good secondary schools in the area.
There is an average school within walking distance.

Define 'good' school - is it based on hearsay? Academic results? The accent of the pupils of the respective 'good' and 'average' schools?

Are you moving the boys away from all their friends and neighbours as well? Could you supplement the 'average' school with extra grinds and tuition in order to get the grades. Or is it more you are afraid of them mixing with a bad element in the neighbourhood school. Is there a better school that is a longer bus ride, like half an hour or something that doesn't entail moving your entire family just be beside a 'good' school.

we've decided to sell up stomach the losses and take a chance house prices will drop further so that we can afford hopefully in a year or two to buy in an area with better schools and ultimately a better spot to bring up our children. the first is not due till July.

I guess you could take from that that I think so

Thanks for advice.
We are actively looking to move - it has been on our mind for a while. It would be over an hour and a half commute to a good school and as the boys will be in secondary school for 6 yrs each we think is worth the uprooting.

Back