Mouth and Foot Painting Artists spam

Ceist Beag

We received a bundle of Christmas cards in the post today from Mouth and Foot Painting Artists with a note asking if we could support them by paying for the cards. First of all I'd like to know how they received our address but secondly has anyone else received something like this and do they know how you can get yourself off this mailing list? On point of principle I refuse to support any charity which imposes itself on you like this but also from a quick google there seems to be suspicion around how genuine this organisation is (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Mouth_and_Foot_Painting_Artists_of_the_World).

I was getting these in the post for a number of years. I kept returning them but eventually I threw them in the bin. I haven't received them in recently years, so fingers crossed they won't come this year either.

Nothing, I think. The letter says you don't have to buy or send back the cards but they'd be happy if you did.

Exactly. We're not under any obligation, I'd just be more concerned about first how they got our details, but second why they think this is a good way to raise money (we will be dumping the cards in the bin so the cost of printing and posting is wasted on them).

They are part of my childhood. My mam has been getting them for the past 30 years.
Dont know how genuine they are, or how much goes to the actual artists, in those days you never questioned a charity.

I got a pack of these in the post this morning too.

Judging by the way the address was written on the envelope, they got my details from the phone book.

W e got two packs last week but on opening them they turned out to be a mixture of cards and not Christmas cards. We usually pay for the Xmas cards, but we returned the misc. cards.

My mother has been receiving them for years. Mostly she buys them, and is quite happy to do so. If you don't want them, simply send them back with a letter asking to have your name removed from their mailing list. My mother returned a pack of miscellaneous cards (as mentioned by a previous poster) and asked to have only the Christmas ones sent, and the organisation complied.

They probably do get the names and addresses from the phone book. If you don't want your details used in this way, there is a way to opt out of it. Check your phone book for details - as far as I recall, there was a number to ring to make sure your details are not freely distributed.

I got those cards for a few years and I'm not in the phone book. I never paid for them nor returned them; didn't land last Christmas.

I got those cards for a few years and I'm not in the phone book. I never paid for them nor returned them; didn't land last Christmas.

I'm not in the phonebook either, and i got a set sent to my old house where my ex and kids live yesterday, same story only i haven't lived there in 3 years!!

Not sendin any money either..

Taken from the voters reg I think. Got mine yesterday and was wondering why so few Irish artists appeared. The bin!

We've been getting these for a few years now. Don't really mind as we'd only ever buy charity Xmas cards anyway so they all get used. They used to send us 2 packs - one each - but I asked them to stop sending mine and they did straight away. I'm actually quite happy to send them a few quid each year and in my view, it's neither a spam nor a scam. I get loads of begging letters from charities and at least this crowd send you something you can use. I assume they get the addresses from Golden Pages or the Business directory as I'm not in the residential phone book.

I got them too and I won't be buying them. It's the principle of the thing. If I want to support a charity then I have a right to choose it. I don't want some organisation sending me something and expecting me to send them money for it. In my opinion they are expensive too. €9.90 for a couple of cards and a few gift tags and you have postage on top of that too.

Someone in work was selling Christmas cards on behalf of Down Syndrome Ireland. It was €6 for 7 cards. I bought some of these instead. Still a worthwhile cause but at least I got to choose whether I bought them or not and I know all the money is going straight to the charity.

3 years later & they're still at it
Got mine yesterday.

People obviously send them money back or they wouldn't still be trying it.

Mine went in recycling.

I have been getting them and paying for same for many years. I regard their arrival as the first reminder of Christmas

I was getting them too and just put return to sender on them. Haven't got them in very recent years.

used to get them, never paid for them as I didn't ask for them. useful source of free white envelopes.

Back