Mount Temple - is it a good school?

elainem

My friend is thinking, of sending her son there - she has gotten a place for 2013. However, some of her neighbours say that the kids have such a social life there that he will never do any work. Any opinions? I always heard that it was a good school.

My children went to Mount Temple and thoroughly enjoyed their time, played rugby, took part in school trips, student council etc and at the end had good leaving cert exams and got their first choices at excellent universities. So our experience was very positive. Both kids studying science in UK universities now

Mount Temple

Hi! Lsquared, thanks for your reply. I will let my friend know. Her main concern was that others had said to her that the children there seemed to have such a great social life, that her child would get caught up in that and not work. The impression that some of the neighbours gave her was that there was a very 'free' attitude in the school, and that this might cause her child to run amok. However, I went to a private school down the country that seemed to have a very similar ethos to Mount Temple - and we all did ok, and no one, that I can recall, ran amok, got into major trouble, ended up on drugs etc.

It's a bit late in the day to be dithering over a choice of school for September 2013. If your friend decided against Mount Temple, the child may end up somewhere where there are other stories of other behaviours, and be stuck there.

Mount Temple has an ethos which provides much of it's appeal. It is a hard school to get into. A friend of ours waited 'til senior infants (in an ET school) before putting her son's name down and didn't get offered a place.

There's good and bad in all schools. If a child is drawn to distraction, the school of choice is not the issue.

The choice of schools is one of the most discussed topics as kids approach starting primary or moving on to secondary level. I can guarantee you that whatever school you suggest someone, and not being sexist but usually a woman, will come up with some horror story about it.
As TarfHead posted there is good and bad in all schools. Some of the most "prestigious" schools have a way of managing indicipline so that he dosent become common knowledge.
What parents need to do is to keep a close eye on their children and dont believe anything a teenager says unless it can be indepednently verified

Back