Mount Oval, Rochestown, Cork

ldc1981

Just wondering how bad the traffic is leaving Mount Oval in the mornings?
I work in the city centre, how long would it take to get there?

I don't live there but happened to be in the estate at the weekend and can well imagine that rush hour traffic is a big problem as the access roads are narrow considering the number of houses that are in the area now. I recall seeing reports on TV3 news and primetime last year about the daily gridlock that was in the area each morning. I suppose leaving early would be the only way to avoid it.

On a separate note I viewed some of the showhouses at the weekend and O'Flynns must think its still 2006. 620k for a 4 bed detached.

Maybe there are still a few suckers out there. I hope you're not one of them.

I was looking at a second hand house, not the new ones. A lot of developers seem to be living in the past though!

What did you think of the finish etc?

Just wondering how bad the traffic is leaving Mount Oval in the mornings?
I work in the city centre, how long would it take to get there?
It's not as bad as before, but it's still pretty awful. You might as well pick a random number rather than try and judge how long it'll take you to get into town. Some mornings, traffic can be a breeze. On others, it can often take over an hour to get into the city from Mount Oval.

I think you can get a similar sort of house in somewhere like Blackrock for not very much more money.

I tried it this morning and it was no problem getting into town. Left Mount Oval at 8.30 and was at my desk for 9, which I didn't think was too bad. Will try it again another morning just to see though, I imagine on a rainy morning it must be fairly bad?

We've recenlty sold an O'Flynn Const house (not in this development) but another of theirs and TBH the finish was appalling. I certainly will not be buying another of their houses. The plastering both internal & external was particularly bad.

We've recenlty sold an O'Flynn Const house (not in this development) but another of theirs and TBH the finish was appalling. I certainly will not be buying another of their houses. The plastering both internal & external was particularly bad.

Did you have any problems with noise from adjoining houses?

Which development was it?

Did you have any problems with noise from adjoining houses?

Which development was it?

Yes - the noise was so bad we could hear the neighbours alarm going off in the morning and could hear them plugging in appliances quite clearly - as though we were plugging something in! We could hear their tv over our tv!

The plastering really was dreadful, tilers had fierce problems because the walls weren't straight, front doors & patio doors gave trouble, LOADS of cracks (one by the stairs was so bad my small finger could fit down the gap).... the list is endless - delighted to have sold the house. I won't say the estate name here but having spoken with neighbours and people who bought in other O'Flynn developments - we weren't alone with our problems!

Yes - the noise was so bad we could hear the neighbours alarm going off in the morning and could hear them plugging in appliances quite clearly - as though we were plugging something in! We could hear their tv over our tv!

The plastering really was dreadful, tilers had fierce problems because the walls weren't straight, front doors & patio doors gave trouble, LOADS of cracks (one by the stairs was so bad my small finger could fit down the gap).... the list is endless - delighted to have sold the house. I won't say the estate name here but having spoken with neighbours and people who bought in other O'Flynn developments - we weren't alone with our problems!

I am disappointed to hear that as I really like the house. Unfortunately I don't know anybody living in an O'Flynn development to ask myself. Thanks for the info though!

I've lived in an O'Flynn house for last 5 years, a semi, never had any problems with noise from neighbours and finish is quite good. Also have friends that lived in Mount Oval and they were very happy with house. I'd say they have a good reputation for build quality athough they were always a bit more expensive.
There are other developers with "O'Flynn" in the title which can cause some confusion.
Anyway if its a second hand house you'll be able to judge the finish for yourself re settlement cracks etc.

O'Flynns do have a good reputation for building - I am very surprised to hear about so many problems with one of their houses.

I've lived in an O'Flynn house for last 5 years, a semi, never had any problems with noise from neighbours and finish is quite good. Also have friends that lived in Mount Oval and they were very happy with house. I'd say they have a good reputation for build quality athough they were always a bit more expensive.
There are other developers with "O'Flynn" in the title which can cause some confusion.
Anyway if its a second hand house you'll be able to judge the finish for yourself re settlement cracks etc.

I might be jumping the gun here, but if I was part of O'Flynn's management team, I would sign up and put a post exactly like that up if I had seen this thread.
Just to avoid any confusion, you have no association with them?

Cairn - I'm very surprised by your comments and perhaps amgd28 has a point...

I have lots of friends in that estate I referred to and had a family member live in another O'Flynn Construction (NOT O'Brien/O'Flynn) development. We were all disappointed with the poor quality finish.

As suggested, if you arrange a viewing you will see the quality for yourself.

Finally, A post for the OP from someone living in Mount Oval J.

I have lived there Since August 2007 and I have no issues with living there. The house was originally bought by my brother in 2001 so its been in the family since then.

It’s a 3 bed semi detached. I have no problems with noise from neighbors. The thing I like about their semi-d’s (O’Flynns) in Mount Oval is that the party wall is on opposite side of house to living room and bedrooms so no noise of TVs, radios, alarm clocks, etc being transferred. I have not noticed any noise transference from the stairs either (this is on the party wall).

As regards traffic. I work 7km away near Wilton Shopping centre and find the traffic as follows:

School term from home to work aprox 25 to 35min depending on weather.
School term from Work to Home (using handy slip road from south link) aprox 20 to 30min

School Holiday term from home to work aprox 15 to 20min
School Holiday term from work to home aprox 15 to 25min

Weekends are like the holiday terms too.

I sometimes find if I leave home at 8.25 rather than 8.30 the traffic can actually be worse getting out of estate.

My Parents live near the sarsfield road and it has taken me longer to get from their house to work anytime I have tried it in the morning.

Sigh, I hesitated about posting for fear of being accused of being involved with the builders; I did mention that my house is a semi; I wonder how many of the O'Flynn management team live in semis! (although maybe that could happen).
For the record I have no connection with them just bought my one and only house from them several years ago and a friend bought in mount oval around the same time; both pretty happy with them.

Finally, A post for the OP from someone living in Mount Oval J.

I have lived there Since August 2007 and I have no issues with living there. The house was originally bought by my brother in 2001 so its been in the family since then.

It’s a 3 bed semi detached. I have no problems with noise from neighbors. The thing I like about their semi-d’s (O’Flynns) in Mount Oval is that the party wall is on opposite side of house to living room and bedrooms so no noise of TVs, radios, alarm clocks, etc being transferred. I have not noticed any noise transference from the stairs either (this is on the party wall).

As regards traffic. I work 7km away near Wilton Shopping centre and find the traffic as follows:

School term from home to work aprox 25 to 35min depending on weather.
School term from Work to Home (using handy slip road from south link) aprox 20 to 30min

School Holiday term from home to work aprox 15 to 20min
School Holiday term from work to home aprox 15 to 25min

Weekends are like the holiday terms too.

I sometimes find if I leave home at 8.25 rather than 8.30 the traffic can actually be worse getting out of estate.

My Parents live near the sarsfield road and it has taken me longer to get from their house to work anytime I have tried it in the morning.

Thank you for your reply, answers all my questions!

This may be a stupid question but are there management fees for the up-keep of the green areas etc or is the council responsible for this?

Management fees in all estates. I don't think council are responsible for up keep in any estates like Mount Oval (but I may be wrong!)

They cut the grass i'd say every 2 weeks during summer and once a month or more outside that...

I think its only the apartments that pay the fees, along with the retail units. Nobody has come knocking on my door since 2001 looking for upkeep money any how. (Which I'm amazed by as the green areas are extremely well kept)

I lived in another estate for a few years of only 80 houses where each house paid €80 a year. But as I said not in Mount Oval :)

Back