Mouldy wardrobe - can it be saved?

wbbs

I have a very old wardrobe, bought in second hand shop as I loved the design of it. Totally took it apart and treated it for woodworm just in case and painted it many years ago. Was in a spare room and had some old unused clothes hanging in it including an old fur coat that reeks anyway so always put the musty smell down to that.

With this lovely fine weather I decided to wash all the clothes in the wardrobe as my daughter has decided to wear some of them (apparently they are now vintage, makes me feel old!). With the wardrobe totally emptied and moved out of it's alcove so I could clean and hoover under it I discovered lots of mould/mildew or whatever it's called on one side of it, at the back and under it. Now there is actually no back in this wardrobe as I never replaced it when I took it apart as I figured the ventilation would be better, that didn't work!

The walls around it are perfect, no sign of anything and the carpet under and behind it is fine, no damp etc.

After spending the night googling, I now have it outside in the sunshine which apparently kills mould, I have also sprayed it with a bleach/water mix and scrubbed the visible mildew off it. My intention then was to give it a serious coat of varnish to totally seal it up. I would prefer not to have to actually repaint as it has designs on it that would be difficult to repaint.

Is this worth doing at all, will it get rid of the mould or should I just give up and dump it? It wasn't costly and has served me well but I just love it.

Id say it would be fine...if you cleared the mould, fresh air n allow for ventilation when putting it back....sounds lovely....

If you "just love it" then it is definitely worth trying. Things you "just love" are too rare to give up on!

Well I have given it a go anyway, has been sitting in sunshine for two days, scrubbed to within an inch of it's life with bleach and after getting it's first coat of varnish. It didn't have a 'distressed' finish originally but it's looking a bit distressed now with all the bleach :)

Back