Motorway Driving

I'm new to adaptive cruise control. Its useful in crawling traffic as well.

Though there's a certain amount of stress trusting it.

The problem is every boy racer and idiot looking to gain a few seconds in their journey time thinks the same.

I often use adaptive cruise control on the motorways now, slows and accelerates with the traffic around you. More chilled experience, and if more did it, average traffic speeds would increase.
I agree with what you say about the boy racers and idiots but they don't always have control and blame everyone else...

That was the point. Most of them will tell you they are highly skilled drivers, putting them in self-driving cars would make it safer for everyone.
But I really can't see self drive cars taking off for a long time ...

This problem will be solved in the future when all vehicles are fully automated or driver-less.

They will fully communicate and cooperate with each other, unlike the many unskilled, stupid or downright dangerous humans currently operating vehicles on our roads.

This will result in less traffic jams and safer roads.

The sooner this happens the better.
Motorways are one place I could see automation working. But I think they will struggle to deal with a more unpredictable urban environment.

Motorways are one place I could see automation working. But I think they will struggle to deal with a more unpredictable urban environment.

A lot of urban driving is in heavy traffic, stop start. Very predictable. You can turn it off once traffic starts moving freely.

Maybe.

I would picture the future where every vehicle including bicycles and even pedestrians carry a road safety device which communicates with every other nearby road user.

A pedestrian walking on a dark country road would be visible to every vehicle up to say 1 kilometer away. The pedestrian could also be alerted in advance of a non compliant vehicle approaching and not reducing speed, "warning approaching vehicle has not communicated its presence". Forewarned, they could take evasive action.

An out of controll vehicle on a head-on collision course with another vehicle.
All other nearby vehicles can plan a course of action. The collision target vehicle swerves to another traffic lane and all other vehicles coordinate braking and steering to allow for the emergency swerve.

Millions of calculations per second. Even if one vehicle goes faulty all other vehicles can take measures to ensure the safest outcome.

A lot of urban driving is in heavy traffic, stop start. Very predictable. You can turn it off once traffic starts moving freely.
It is the pedestrian walking between the cars I'm thinking of, cyclist weaving through etc
The expected unexpected.

Waymo's record isn't bad, they're not allowed on Freeways yet so it's all urban & sub-urban driving. Promising given the tech is still relatively early in the development cycle.

Back