Motor Claim split between policies impact on No Claims

gg00gg

Hoping someone might be able to guide me on a question. We have two cars at home. I'm insured on one and my wife named. She is insured on the other and I'm named. Policies with two providers and both have full No Claims discount. She was in a minor/medium car crash over the weekend (everyone is fine) while driving the car with the policy in my name.

There is a chance she might be found liable. Today on a call to the insurance company They asked if she had a policy on another car which I confirmed. They then said she effectively had double-cover - i.e. being named on my policy for the car and also cover to drive other cars via the other policy in her name. The person on the phone suggested that if we are liable then they might seek to split the claim with the other insurer.

Now this is all well and good for them, but I'm guessing in this case that could mean we lose the No Claims discount on both policies? If so then that is surely madness! I know I need to wait on decision re liability but I want to be prepared. Does any consumer policy offer any protection to me? Surely it can't end in an outcome where we are hit twice? Or perhaps there is no impact on the policy where she is just the named extra driver? (although I can't imagine so)

No knowledge of how it will go but it is not something I was aware of and we would be in the exact same position here in my house if something similar were to happen definitely worth evaluating. I still have my adult children on my policy and they now have their own car and policy with a different insurer.

Am I understanding this correctly it will only come into effect if driving as the named driver on a policy and there is a claim that they will try to effect a claim on any policy the person holds in their own name?

Last edited:
It’s a thing apparently one which I unaware of
It is called dual indemnity - whereby any damage to another party is insured twice; once with the named driver policy and again with your own insurance IF this allows for the driving of other vehicles.

Often the insurer of the vehicle settles the claim and then seeks 1/2 the pay out to third party from the named drivers own insurance.

This often causes confusion. There is the 'Dual Indemnity Agreement', where the insurer of the DRIVER deals with the TP claim in full. If your insurer is not part of that, then both your policy and that of your wife will share the claim 50/50. However, only one NCB is affected and that is the DRIVERS. The OWNERS NCB is NOT affected.

Back