motor accident at work. got note from Dr in Hospital but employer wont pay me.

bluetoff

I was in a motor accident at work which the other party has admitted liability, however the hospital gave me a note for a few days but my employer will not pay me even though it was a work vehicle I was in and the accident was in no way my fault, are they within their rights to do this?

Seems like a bad move by the employer. Technically, they may well be correct, if their normal policy is not to pay for sick leave. If you are out of pocket as a result, it is probably up to you to sue the other party for the difference.

When you say 'accident at work', do you drive for a living? Was it a company car or van you were driving?

Your employer can't be reponsible for the negligence of third party whilst driving. If it's their policy not to pay sick pay they won't. Complainer is right, you will have write to the the guy that hit you and tell him that he will have to reimburse you for your loss and if he doesn't admit liability within 10 days that you will have to proceed down the injuries board route!

It's really bad form for an employer not to pay for someone who is out due to an accident while working, even if they are not legally liable.

Not always, sometimes an insurance company does not want them to pay as it may indicate an acceptance of liability particularly if their normal policy is not to pay sick pay.

Spot on

Not always, sometimes an insurance company does not want them to pay as it may indicate an acceptance of liability particularly if their normal policy is not to pay sick pay.
Joe you are spot on there you would be better off them not paying you for insurances reasons .

Back