Mother's Irish, Father's American deed issues

LaraO

Does this pose any problems for my father who will inherit property that was only in my mother's name? Does he go through the same process for Grant of Administration?

Is the property in Ireland? Did your mother make a will? Did this will deal exclusively with Irish property or with both Irish and american property?

The property is in Ireland. My parents do have property in America as well, but the Ireland deed was only in my mother"s name. My mother had no will. Does this pose a problem for my Father who is American.

Under Irish law a property in your mothers sole name would be divided on her death between her husband and children ( assuming no will) as to 2/3 to husband and remaining 1/3 among children.

A grant would have to be taken out in Ireland. If then the children agree they could execute a deed of family arrangement transferring their share in the property to their father.

Although it is not straightforward it is common enough. It makes no difference what your fathers nationality is.

Would the grant work the other way around say my father wishes to put his share of the house in his childrens names?

I am assuming that as you speak of her in he past tense that your moher has died intestate. In that instance the intestacy rules as to distribution of assets stated by previous poster will apply. You will need to have an administrator appointed to deal with the property. Ideally contact an irish solicitor who will deal with the letters of administration and other details on your family's behalf.

I am assuming that as you speak of her in he past tense that your moher has died intestate. In that instance the intestacy rules as to distribution of assets stated by previous poster will apply. You will need to have an administrator appointed to deal with the property. Ideally contact an irish solicitor who will deal with the letters of administration and other details on your family's behalf.

Thank you. Would it be best to find a solicitor in the county that the property is in?

Back