Most recent sales in area

Winnie

Hi,

just wondering if there is any official listing of the most recent sales prices for properties/sites in an area?
I could probably go to an estate agent or something to get a certain amount of info but I was wondering if there is somewhere more offical as I want to quote the stats in a document

thanks

I often thought this would be a great idea. there is a great website in uk that does it. ourproperty.co.uk i think it is. if you subscribe to a particular post code it will update you for as long as you like and give average prices sold int the area and surrounding areas. as far as i know there is nothing here. it would be hard to do though with the lack of post codes.

you can get this information for free within the UK at nethouseprices.com

I am not sure why there isnt a similar Irish site

money man said:
I often thought this would be a great idea. there is a great website in uk that does it. ourproperty.co.uk i think it is. if you subscribe to a particular post code it will update you for as long as you like and give average prices sold int the area and surrounding areas. as far as i know there is nothing here. it would be hard to do though with the lack of post codes.

It seems the UK sites use publicly available information on sale prices obtained from the UK land registry, I don't believe there is any such information publicly available here from the Irish land registry (I'm not even sure whether they have it privately) so the lack of post codes does not make much difference.

I wonder if it's possible to get access to the valuations submitted for stamp duty purposes. You could try an FoI request to the Revenue Commissioners, but they might charge you for the time required to collate aggregate information.

MugsGame said:
I wonder if it's possible to get access to the valuations submitted for stamp duty purposes. You could try an FoI request to the Revenue Commissioners, but they might charge you for the time required to collate aggregate information.

I doubt FOI covers individual taxpayers affairs. I'm sure there must be some provision in the FOI legislation to preserve individual taxpayers confidentiality from being breached by 3rd parties using FOI requests. The only place I can see where FOI might apply is allowing a taxpayer to request himself the details of decisions on his own tax affairs or for queries about the general operatiing policies and procedures of the Revenue Commissioners.

Obviously you can't ask for individual tax records (other than your own). What you can ask for are aggregate figures e.g. average values for a given area. This is similar to the newspapers getting LC exam results per school under FoI, without seeing individual student records. FoI is not just for access to your own personal information, it covers all information gathered by public bodies. Granted they may have an out if they don't already generate these aggregates, but I expect they do, in order to identify "suspect" valuations. Though I accept correctly wording a request to get useful aggregates could be difficult.

Back