Most hated phrases & management speak

I'm personally guilty of:

bells & whistles
the whole shebang (not a buzz phrase as such)

...among others I'm sure

A very annoying woman director where I used to work used the phrase

"a square peg in a round hole"

Every meeting was full of "management speak" I hate it!

".. eat our own dog-food"

".. step up to the plate" (a favorite among soccer pundits and managers)

".. snafu ... " (Situation Normal: All F****d Up)

".. make sure we're on the same page ..."

".. focus ..."

"... TODO list ..."

And not forgetting acronyms ....
"... wrt .. " (with respect to)

" .... AFAIK ..." ( as far as I know)

I just heard of "eating our own dog food" in an email yesterday - maybe we work in the same place!

Another annoying one in here is "have you got the bandwidth for ......".

"vanilla system" - something without an added extra

"greenfield operation" - to start something from scratch I think

I dislike 'in terms of'; Micheál Martin can hardly utter a sentence without saying 'in terms of' . . tune into it next time he's on the radio or TV. Maybe it's just my OCD but my personal Echelon system picks out the phrase any time he speaks.

Have to say 'in terms of' doesn't bother me in the least - think I use the term from time to time.

'Going forward' really gets on my nerves though.

OK here's one:

"This is a domesticated antelope with conjunctivitis situation"

touch base is a pet hate of mine, also hate:
Bring to the table, proactive approach, an exercise in box ticking,
or one that I hear a lot from a particular senior in here "We're going to follow a strict methodology here" usually means we are doing it my way so shut-up!!

"You need to have a tolerance for ambiguity" - Usually used after giving someone mutually exclusive objectives.

I too really hate 'touch base'.

In my first IT job (during the last 'real' recession :) ) my boss asked me to 'touch base' with someone. I said 'Er, yeah sure' not wanting to appear clueless, just starting out in my career an' all that.
When he walked away I thought to myself "what the f*** is he on about. Whats baseball got to do with anything ?"

Since then, 'touch base' along with all other management-type gobbledegook used to hide the fact that they cannot express themselves properly, but want to sound like their boss
- I hate it all !!

Back