Mosquito deterrent.

BOXtheFOX

My wife has been badly bitten on recent trips by mosquitos usually ending with bad blisters then scarring. We have used the plug in repellents to some effect but I am unsure if we are using these things correctly. So a few questions for our mosquito experts. When you plug in these deterrents when asleep should we also leave a window open? I am a bit concerned that we are breathing in something toxic? Is it sufficient to only plug them in at night or should we leave them plugged in all the time? I have got a lot of info from Googling but any other first hand tips would be appreciated.

Not sure about the plug-in types, but surely leaving the window open will let the mossies in :confused:. I just normally use a Deet spray 50% or wipes are very good too - I'd rather use deet than get bitten (not good for your skin, neither is a bite!). I found citronella candles good to when I was in africa...they're the tea light types which are safe to leave burning at night.

As well as all that, I would recommend getting L'occitane Verbena shower gel and using that in the shower every morning. Works for me and I usually get attacked by them wherever I go!

I've used the plug-in repellant both home and abroad and found them reasonably effective. As mosquitoes don't come out during the day, there isn't any need to plug them in all the time, just at night when you're using the room. I'd leave the window closed though. If you want to be sure that the room is clear before you use it, try regular fly/bug spray - horrible smell, but better than a bite!

My GP suggested using the "bounce" fabric conditioner/tumble drier sheets as a deterrent (he used them on golf courses in the US). Hang one close to or on the bed. I have to be honest, I found the smell of the drier sheets worse than the mossie bites!

Another option is to take Vitamin B (preferably as a drink - e.g. Berocca or similar)daily. Mosquitoes don't like the scent of vitamin B-laden humans apparently! I was in the Canaries for a week last month, didn't get bitten at all, so maybe there's something in it!

Hi
When I was living in scotland, where the midges reign supreme, people swore by Avon 'Skin so soft'
Nicola

My wife has been badly bitten on recent trips by mosquitos usually ending with bad blisters then scarring. We have used the plug in repellents to some effect but I am unsure if we are using these things correctly. So a few questions for our mosquito experts. When you plug in these deterrents when asleep should we also leave a window open? I am a bit concerned that we are breathing in something toxic? Is it sufficient to only plug them in at night or should we leave them plugged in all the time? I have got a lot of info from Googling but any other first hand tips would be appreciated.

while on holidays in thailand may hotels placed Citronella candles and smoking coils, near entrances... kept them from coming indoors in the first place.

http://www.control-mosquitoes.com/#mf15

Anything with Deet usually works but you mightn't want to put it on getting into bed. Citronella candles can be hit and miss but are better than nothing.

I always get badly bitten the last few times I've used the plug in devices and found them good. I ususally plug them in a few hours before going to bed, making sure all windows and doors are closed. I tend put mossie spray on too usually something with at least 70% deet

How about getting a mosquito net - you can pick up a double or single in an outdoors shop - eg Great Outdoors.

You can get ones with frames or ones with a tie that you're supposed to suspend from something above the bed. Used this type of one when travelling through Asia for a good few months - but usually just threw it over us if the mossies were very bad.

Travelled to Kenya twice , took all the usual precautions. Most important is to keep windows closed while the lights are on in the room. They are attracted to light and will come in. Another thing that I did was took vitamin B tablets for a few days before departure and during my trip. My GP told me that there was no basis for it but I do believe it worked. It puts a smell on your perspiration that the Mozzies detest. Another one was Orange peel beside the bed. Again , no scientific reason for it but it did work for me.

I've read about this on many occassions. Your best bet is to go to a health shop, certain oils are far more effective than commercial stuff. In NY mosquitos are out biting day and night.

Reading with interest & will take steps before I go on hols 'cos they LOVE me!!

But has anyone else noticed they seem to be in Ireland now - I have definitely had some mossie type bites and caught one or two "in the act" at the end of last summer.

As you're on holidays......

It may not be your taste but I've found having a few Gin&Tonics before bed keeps them away.
I kid you not - it works, I don't know if it's the gin or the tonic but the mozzies don't like it.

I've given this advice to several friends and have not had complaints!

But has anyone else noticed they seem to be in Ireland now - I have definitely had some mossie type bites and caught one or two "in the act" at the end of last summer.
I caught one (well, I squished one) on a Ryanair flight out of Dublin!!!!

Anything with Deet usually works but you mightn't want to put it on getting into bed. Citronella candles can be hit and miss but are better than nothing.

I would avoid DEET for prolonged use, it has been banned in may countries. I am sure it is ok for occasional use, however I certainly wouldn't be using it all the time.

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/spring03hazards.html

BTW don't wear dark clothes! Thats another thing that attracts them

The worst mosquito bites I've had (requiring a GP visit and a prescription for anti-histamines) have happened at home in my own bedroom in Drogheda. And our local newspaper has warned residents that they're back again this summer (they went elsewhere last year....didn't we all!)

The only difference between the Irish mosquitoes and the "foreigners" is that the local ones don't carry malaria, just give a nasty bite.

I heard about the Avon cream recommendation before - apparently the UK soldiers use it when on tours in Middle East, etc!

Having ended up with a mozzie bite that turned very badly septic years ago, I am totally paranoid about the little buzzing demons and take Piriton daily on hols, keep the plug-in going the whole time of my trip & never open the windows & doors after dusk - it's kept me relatively bite-free on hols.

I'd go along with the Vit B recommendations, you can get a B Complex supplement, apparantly they hate the smell of it as it courses through your veins! its good for helping you cope with the stresses of travel too if there are any.

Its the tonic! It contains quinine which is used as a repellant.

Wikipedia says.....
Quinine is a flavour component of tonic water, bitter lemon, and vermouth. According to tradition, the bitter taste of anti-malarial quinine tonic led British colonials in India to mix it with gin, thus creating the gin and tonic cocktail, which is still popular today in many parts of the world.

I would avoid DEET for prolonged use, it has been banned in may countries. I am sure it is ok for occasional use, however I certainly wouldn't be using it all the time.

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/spring03hazards.html

BTW don't wear dark clothes! Thats another thing that attracts them

Defintiely ok for short term or even a few months use. I used 100% deet in oz and would never use any less as they eat me alive and its the only thing that ever keeps them away. Once you have a high deet spray on (50-100%) they wont go near you.
Definitely going to try the vitamin B now too, thanks for that as I'm off on hols in two weeks!

Back