Mortgage Repayments

niallkelly14

Hi

just a couple of quick queries that i would like clarified. Say we have a mortgage for 250k over 30 years on variable rate and pay it off as per usual over the next 5 years repaying say 30k of the capital amount and 50k in interest.

if at the end of year 5 we then had 220k cash available and paid all this in would this clear the mortgage in full with no further interest to be paid

i know that if this was a fixed mrtgage, there are penalties for early payment of a fixed rate loan. can anyone provide an estimate of how much these penalties are, i know these prob vary from bank to bank but a general overview would be much appreciated

if at the end of year 5 we then had 220k cash available and paid all this in would this clear the mortgage in full with no further interest to be paid
Yes.

i know that if this was a fixed mrtgage, there are penalties for early payment of a fixed rate loan. can anyone provide an estimate of how much these penalties are, i know these prob vary from bank to bank but a general overview would be much appreciated
Not possible - it would depend on the fixed rate, the time remaining on the fix and the variable rate then being offered by the provider....it will always be quite clear on the contract.

Back