Mortgage Protection Cover for someone who has recovered from a serious illness

Hi all,

I am in the initial stages of researching to buy a house. I have a medical history similar to scaryeire. I had low grade non hodgkin's lymphoma however I received chemo therapy and was declared in full remission in September 2012.

I have read up on all the posts & stickies on life cover, however I thought I would ask scaryeire if they managed to get cover? did you have to get a waiver?

Given the diagnosis is so similar to mine I would like to learn as much before I start the process.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Just to add some details:
- 28 years old
- Full time permanent
- Partner and I would be applying (she is also permanent)

Regards

Hi all,

I am in the initial stages of researching to buy a house. I have a medical history similar to scaryeire. I had low grade non hodgkin's lymphoma however I received chemo therapy and was declared in full remission in September 2012.

I have read up on all the posts & stickies on life cover, however I thought I would ask scaryeire if they managed to get cover? did you have to get a waiver?

Given the diagnosis is so similar to mine I would like to learn as much before I start the process.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Just to add some details:
- 28 years old
- Full time permanent
- Partner and I would be applying (she is also permanent)

Regards

For Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, I would say that the "high street" insurance companies in Ireland are unlikely to offer any cover until you're at least 3 to 10 years since treatment, depending on the specifics of your case. You might get cover from Pulse who have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hi,

I applied to Pulse and am waiting to hear back, I will update here when I get a reply

Regards

Hi,

I applied to Pulse and am waiting to hear back, I will update here when I get a reply

Regards
So a couple of months have passed and as I type this I am in my new house.

While I was in the middle of applying for the different life cover options I felt quite deflated after getting the refusals and then the high quotes. The lesson I learned was to keep shopping around and try every avenue even if its more hassle.

The other thing to note is that your GP will have a large input into this process, I only learned afterwards that my GP had to liaise with my hospital to gather all the document the insurers required. If you don't have a medical card you GP may actually charge you for this so its something to be aware of also.

Looking back a couple of months ago I was doubting if I would secure a mortgage, just like my illness a couple of years back things worked out in the end.

Back