Mortgage protection and wrong diagnosis of borderline personality disorder

Tomato

I know there is other mental health threads on this but this is slightly different. My self and my partner are in the process of getting mortgage approval. Yesterday she was told by her psychologist that people with a history of BPD wont get mortgage protection.
This diagnosis was actually wrong, and was changed to bi-polar. She did have an associated hospital stint in a ward. Will This basically stop our mortgage.
There is a few things, my salary is far higher than hers, will this have any affect. Its a 4 to 1 ratio. We havent contacted any broker or anything yet as we dont know what to do first. Does any broker or insurance company accept this, paying an extra premium we would accept. We just dont want to get our hopes up only to be crushed again. Any advice or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Take psychology advice from a psychologist and insurance advice from an insurance professional.

I would talk to an insurance broker and explain your situation. Your partner can cite her specific circumstances and treatment timeline. Ask whether, in their experience, they think mortgage protection would be forthcoming.

If a doctor certified any updated diagnosis, then I doubt a mortgage protection company would challenge that. But they will still ask lots of questions about this aspect of her medical history.

If you find out that mortgage protection won't be provided, then you could consider taking out the loan solely in your own name and then trying to add your partner to the mortgage at a later point.

Keep your heads up. It feels stressful now, but you'll get there.

Take psychology advice from a psychologist and insurance advice from an insurance professional.

I would talk to an insurance broker and explain your situation. Your partner can cite her specific circumstances and treatment timeline. Ask whether, in their experience, they think mortgage protection would be forthcoming.

If a doctor certified any updated diagnosis, then I doubt a mortgage protection company would challenge that. But they will still ask lots of questions about this aspect of her medical history.

If you find out that mortgage protection won't be provided, then you could consider taking out the loan solely in your own name and then trying to add your partner to the mortgage at a later point.

Keep your heads up. It feels stressful now, but you'll get there.
Sadly my salary alone still isnt enough to buy a home. Its just out of reach.

Im just hoping to hear of someone in our situation that was able to get it but i cant seem to find a success story

Even if you can't get mortgage protection it doesn't mean you can't get a mortgage, just make sure whatever lender you choose is open to doing a 'waiver' as per the provisions under the Consumer Credit Act for just these sort of cases.

Back