Mortgage on own when married

Irocha is trying to help you. It's very important you tell us the details including your financial fears in relation to your husband. We've heard it all on here before.

Is the mortgage on your home in joint names? Have you been paying that correctly all along. Do you or he pay it or both, are your finances joint.

What did he do with the money from the loan, was it spent on the family, a car, gambling etc. instead of a solicitor I would suggest you both need to sit down and decide going forward what solution can be found for your fears and his issue.

I have by the way a radical solution for you if it's totally impossible to get a mortgage. You pretend you are separated and you do everything to demonstrate that to a bank, then you go to the bank as a single separated woman. If your husbands issue is serious, like gambling, this is what I would do. That way you protect the assets for the whole family.
Mortgage is in joint names, paid by both. Yes my husbsnd is a gambler....hard to admit and only just came out in recent months how bad. But he getting the help he needs. that's the personal side of things so let's just let that be.

I'm not prepared to say or pretend I'm seperated. I think that's playing with fire and I couldn't sleep at night with such a lie. But I appreciate your suggestion.....just not for me.

Buy to let might be the way that others have suggested. It's just I reckon before I got a new mortgage on own one of the conditions will be that I no longer have my current mortgage and thus meaning I can't demonstrate I have a family home.

But anyway.....I have a few options to think about so thanks to those who gave the financial advice.

Bronte, your suggestion wouldn't work without producing legal separation etc and that's a bit drastic not to mention costly.

Apply for the new house as a buy to let in your own name, rate might be higher but you may be able to reduce that if in future it becomes the family home, check with bank 'what if' you were to move in eventually.
Yes thank you....it may be an option. But just with my current mortgage and outgoings I doubt they with give me an additional mortgage. Worth a shot I suppose.

Try other banks and don't forget a percentage of potential rental income will be added to your income for the 'BTL', obviously you won't have any rental income so be sure you can actually pay both loans while you then wait for your own house to sell.

What about stuff like the Family Home Protection Act?
I don't think that you can abrogate the likes of that (and maybe other laws relating to married couples/families) simply by lying.
I would treat advice like the above with extreme caution.
Sounds very dodgy to me.
Of course it's dodgy, but it doesn't mean it can't be done. Now we know the truth of the issue, especially. Try going to a bank with that! Not a chance she'll get a mortgage on her own with that baggage.

Bronte, your suggestion wouldn't work without producing legal separation etc and that's a bit drastic not to mention costly.

Apply for the new house as a buy to let in your own name, rate might be higher but you may be able to reduce that if in future it becomes the family home, check with bank 'what if' you were to move in eventually.

My parents legally separated, it was very cheap as they both agreed the details. At that time it was the same solicitor too, don't think it's allowed now. Solicitor was just glad they agreed, very unusual. It's just a standard legal document.

Mortgage is in joint names, paid by both. Yes my husbsnd is a gambler....hard to admit and only just came out in recent months how bad. But he getting the help he needs. that's the personal side of things so let's just let that be.

I'm not prepared to say or pretend I'm seperated. I think that's playing with fire and I couldn't sleep at night with such a lie. But I appreciate your suggestion.....just not for me.

Buy to let might be the way that others have suggested. It's just I reckon before I got a new mortgage on own one of the conditions will be that I no longer have my current mortgage and thus meaning I can't demonstrate I have a family home.

But anyway.....I have a few options to think about so thanks to those who gave the financial advice.

That's fair enough Sally. And of course you know you'll never be able to trust him financially. My OH does the odd bet, has a PP account, which is a no no with banks, so we use a separate account for it. I had a 17 year old visitor from Ireland last week, got on great with my OH as he has a PP account too! illegal of course, father is in horses.

You have my sympathies. That's an awful shock to you, but better you find out now so you can secure the financial future of your family and get your husband help.

Based on what you've posted, I would be very skeptical of the advice of your husbands relative.

Go to a good broker, the one I mentioned, tell the truth, don't hold back, he should be able to help you manoeuvre around sorting this out. Don't go near the bank until you do this.

Best of luck. ( yes your inheritance can not be touched - keep the proceeds in an account in your name only)

Last edited:
Back