Mortgage in one name but deeds in both names.

G

Geri123

I am living in my family home for 6 years now. During that time i have paid the mortgage on my own. I am seperated from my husband 7 years. In order to get the mortgage in the first place he agreed to put his name on the house also. He has not lived in the house nor paid anything for it. I live at home woth my 3 children 1 of whom is in full time education. My husband is demanding €100,000 to sign the deeds over to me. I need some advise. Can he be entitled to anything considering he has not paid for nor lived in the house. Thank you in advance.

In order to get the mortgage in the first place he agreed to put his name on the house also.

He is on title which means he is a joint borrower also. To answer your question this means he does have entitlements.

Did you have a separation agreement drawn up?

Can you afford to cover mortgage repayments on your own now?

You need to seek independent advice from your solicitor to come up with some agreement to suit you both.
Its your family home and he will have obligations to provide support for his children.

"Can he be entitled to anything considering he has not paid for nor lived in the house. "

As previous poster says, the short answer is yes. You need legal advice and soon, as this will only get worse, the more equity you build up in the house.

Thank you for your reply. I have been in touch with my solicitor and hope to resolve this as soon as possible.

I know when a person is not on the deeds but has made a financial contribution to the house they have rights so presumably it will work against your husband's entitlements that he has not.

Back