Mortgage early payment

Thanks Monbretia. I've also been looking at my various small savings accounts (apart from my main rainy day fund) and they are all earning less than 1% interest at the moment and I also have regular direct debits going in to them. It seems to me that I'm presently as well off reducing all them to about €10 each and putting that against the mortgage also, and re-diverting my direct debit savings also?
I just don't completely get where all this money goes though if your are paying it to the bank and you have requested that neither your term nor your monthly payment be reduced? Is it that officially you are not changing the terms of your mortgage, but unofficially this money is being used to shorten the actual term of your mortgage?
Just be aware that once you lodge these funds to your mortgage they are unavailable to draw again. I.e. Don't lodge what you may need to cover future expenses. Also if you want to retain payments at existing level you will need to contact the bank to arrange for the DD to collect this higher level of payments. Mortgage payments are calculated based on the rate - balance outstanding and remaining term. I.e. They will reduce if you lodge additional funds to the mortgage.

Back