Mortgage amount

louthguy

Hi I am looking at purchasing a house in ireland .Im just wondering if anyone thinks its better to put a 100k euro downpayment on a 185k house with a lesser mortgageor just put down the deposit required and let the tenants pay the rest of the mortgage as planned?

Are you in Ireland. Good luck with thinking the rent will cover the mortgage once you've all the other costs included. And it's better to have a larger mortgage as otherwise you'll pay more tax. Any chance of some figures you've calculated to see if this proposition makes sense.

I don't understand the view that it's better to pay €1,000 in interest because you don't have to pay tax of €375!

Net cost €625!!!

The question should be can I get a better rate of return elsewhere on the surplus than the after tax cost.

I am living outside of Ireland at present and working. ive been told by mortgage lenders that if I put down 100k on the house as deposit and take 85k of a loan then I will pay around 840euro per month for 10 years.

if I put down the minimum of 35% of the house price that would be 64,750 euro with 120k left to pay and over 15 years it would be around 865euro per month. I don't want to have a 20-25 year mortgage.

by the way this property fetches around 900-950 euro per month. thanks

Back