Morning drivers.Make me Mad!

gallyslave; This also annoys me.
There is a sign in a local bus lane ,which states very very clearly "Bus lane NOT in use".
Yet when I go into it,the other drivers think I'm trying to get by them and freak!

They might be freaking at you because you are "undertaking" them which is illegal and maybe they are also unaware that the bus lane is actually open for anybody to drive in, but the road marking would suggest another thing

They might be freaking at you because you are "undertaking" them which is illegal and maybe they are also unaware that the bus lane is actually open for anybody to drive in, but the road marking would suggest another thing

it's their responsibility to be aware of the road signs etc. As for undertaking - what do you suggest when most drivers are in the wrong lane in the first place?

it's their responsibility to be aware of the road signs etc. As for undertaking - what do you suggest when most drivers are in the wrong lane in the first place?

They could be only in the wrong lane because of poor road signage and road markings too though. The N32 (belcamp lane) between the M50/M1 junction and R107 (malahide road) is a prime example of such a road. It would take a day to re-mark the road in question, to make it safer for all using it.

This does not however give anyone the right to "undertake" which is extremely dangerous.

They should immediately apply the brakes as soon as they are travelling at any speed in excess of the vehicle to their right hand side. Stopping if necessary and then commence once again after the traffic to the right regains speed. :rolleyes:

It does not state in the Rules of the Road that "Undertaking" is illegal

The rules of the road state 3 scenarios where it is correct to overtake somebody on the left.

You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right.
You have signalled that you intend to turn left.
Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane

The so called bus lane has been in place for over 3 years but has never been used as such.The very clear sign, BUS LANE NOT IN USE,has been there for the same period of time.

This bus lane can only be used by those turning left,so therefore not undertaking.

In fairness when they see that I have indicated that Im turning left they calm down!

Last edited:
Are you batty by name and nature:p

My kids are very precious,As are everyone elses,I have a duty of care..

I care that they arrive safely at their school,which in the current situation is not always guaranteed.

Three deaths and several accidents on the road,does not in my opinion make it a weak reason.

You infer that I moaned about traffic problems and then add to them.
Where did you come up with that one? I was not complaining about the amount of traffic,rather it was the behavior of the drivers!

What I did " moan " about was that drivers need to be more alert and stop acting like nutcases!

TD I understand that your children are very precious, I was asking the question why can't you walk them to school? Teach them good habits?

I apologise & apologise again for saying that you complained about the amount of traffic & the behaviour of other drivers.

Thanks batty.
It would take too long to walk the three of them to school as they are in different schools.
And I have a life.;)

I would love nothing more than have them walk to school,as I did in my day.

We have over the years had so many surveys about why kids dont walk/cycle to school,some of the forms I was given you had to tick one of the following;
No cycle lane,
Too far,
Goes with parent in car etc,
Not one of them have a box I could tick to say it was too dangerous for them.

I drive mainly in Cork and I think 99% of drivers are excellent - I really do!!
It's a rare time that someone doesn't move when the light goes green or pull out when there is a gap. Am I alone in thinking this?!

I drive mainly in Cork and I think 99% of drivers are excellent - I really do!!
It's a rare time that someone doesn't move when the light goes green or pull out when there is a gap. Am I alone in thinking this?!

I think you are totally on your own on this issue

There's a great ad running at the moment for some form of car insurance. Loads of people pushing past each other on the path, roaring abuse at one another and pushing in front of people. The voice over say 'You wouldn't act like this on foot, so why do it on the road?' or something to that effect. Its clever and thought provoking and should really be advertising road safety/better driver behaviour instead of insurance.

Back