more & more problems diagnosed by garage

I have no idea if this garage is acting competently and honestly; I also have no great knowledge of car repair issues. But I will say this: car garages are one of the last bastions of blatant discrimination against women customers. Of course there are good and reputable garages out there, but it is so common for a female customer to be charged more and\or hoodwinked into unnecessary repairs and\or charged for work not actually done that it is just not worth taking a chance.

Ladies, if you have a man available, always send him to the garage with the car. First remove any evidence that it is a girly vehicle. I am not being facetious.

one more question -

can anyone guestimate what a reasonable payment to the garage would be at this stage if I asked them to STOP and let me tow it to another garage: AFAIK they have down the following:

stripped the car down,
taken out the clutch and flywheel,
put it back together again, driven it,
found the noise still there,
stripped it down again, identified the crank shaft as being the problem,
phoned traynor's for a replacement engine,
had it in their workshop from last Thursday (today is Friday - 9 days later).

what could they reasonably charge me for this (i.e. labour etc)???

BTW - with 3 kids under 4 I'm sorely missing my car and my garage hasn't found a replacement engine for it yet - so could be end of next week before I get it back. The garage blokes SEEM honest etc but this is all doing my head in!!!

600 or 700, without parts????????????

pity they could not have loaned you a car at least

my head is spinning - I explained the situation to another garage over the phone - they are offering to fix the clutch, 'throw in a flywheel they have knocking around', provide a reconditioned engine and provide a courtesy driver to transfer the car for ....
E1820.....

My garage was quoting E2,800????

But, my garage was going to get a 2nd hand engine from a reputable supplier and the other is providing a reconditioned engine - is this the difference in price.

Which is usually better - reconditioned or 2nd hand from reputable supplier?

I'd go recon every time.

Maybe a supplier of 2nd hand engines is reputable, but they are still at the mercy of random problems/failures with the engines they end up with - unless they are thoroughly tested, you are taking a bit of a chance really.

But with (probably) only a max. of 6 months warranty whatever you go with, there's an element of risk anyway.

i am still suspicious that there is a flywheel problem,, why are we still trying to change the engine????????????/

i am still suspicious that there is a flywheel problem,, why are we still trying to change the engine????????????/

the garage I phoned also sounded surprised (any of you with the garage I phoned - I'm getting well and truly paranoid now!) about talk of flywheel problem.

My garage said that the crankshaft is broken (damaged by my not adding oil regularly) and that the clutch damaged the flywheel and something about those two playing on one part of the engine - crankshaft? I'll try and describe what they showed me - part of the engine which has about 6 round parts - size of a fist each - they said one of those is broken and you can't just get one replacement part.

They said that the parts would cost as much as a new engine.

Now I'm feeling so unsure about the whole repair issue that whoever I get to repair it I think I'll try and trade the car in afterwards.....

caveat,

I'm getting the idea that a recon engine is a better option, but I don't want to be compairing apples and pears which usually costs more - a recon or a 2nd hand?

I don't know much about it. But I'm guessing that it would be hard to know if they caused the 2nd problem, never mind prove it.

I don't know much about it. But I'm guessing that it would be hard to know if they caused the 2nd problem, never mind prove it.

I agree- and another poster here pointed out that crankshaft damage could be from lack of oil - so that is a clear cause.

anyone know of the relative prices of reconditioned and 2nd hand engines?

caveat,

I'm getting the idea that a recon engine is a better option, but I don't want to be compairing apples and pears which usually costs more - a recon or a 2nd hand?

I would expect a recon to cost more - but how much more, sorry, I don't know.

thanks caveat, that's all I wanted to know.

thanks guys for trying to help out with all this advice - keep it coming!

personally i would just go for the cheaper option of the second hand engine,, cant be that un lucky twice, and it will be cheaper..

NB, if you do get the second hand engine, make sure that the timing belt is replaced while the engine is on the ground, and not have you getting it done in a few weeks, and if it breakes, ur in more trouble..

originally, what happened the car,, was it driving.? was the clutch slipping, did it drive to the garage, still trying to understand the whole crankshaft problem,,, they showed you the clutch origianlly with scratches on the flywheel,, crankshaft seems to be diagnosed lateron, and it is correct that low oil will cause damage...

You will most likely end up tarding it after this so i would not bother on the recon engine,,,,,

if it drove in with a faulty clutch, how was the crankshaft broken????????

originally, what happened the car,, was it driving.? was the clutch slipping, did it drive to the garage, still trying to understand the whole crankshaft problem,,, they showed you the clutch origianlly with scratches on the flywheel,, crankshaft seems to be diagnosed lateron, and it is correct that low oil will cause damage...

You will most likely end up tarding it after this so i would not bother on the recon engine,,,,,

if it drove in with a faulty clutch, how was the crankshaft broken????????

1 - the car started making a chucka chucka noise - I brought it to our garage and they said it sounded like the clutch. When I depressed the clutch pedal it made that noise - it didn't result in slipping or anything else that I was aware of. I brought it to another garage (my husband was keen to try another because he wasn't happy with a wrong diagnosis from our garage about a central locking problem - see earlier post) who gave the same diagnosis and same estimate for replacing (E600, inclu vat & labour).

2 - drove the car in, was called 2 days later to say that flywheel also gone (estimate an additional E600 to solve). I was shown flywheel and 'cracks' were pointed out to me - I couldn't see any...

3 - a few days later was called to say the crank shaft was also broken/in trouble. They had worked on the clutch & flywheel and yet when they drove the car again it still made noise. They explained further that because I hadn't put oil in regularly (guilty!) this had ruined the crankshaft. (about 3 times in the year I had the experience that when I had driven for a long while, and on hotter days that the gears got stuck out of gear - happened to me while driving in traffic, scary - had brought it to the garage twice over it and they had no clue what it could be).

4 - they said that rather than replace the crank shaft they wanted to put in a different engine 'cos cost of parts & labour etc would pretty much be the same price.

5 - they came back with a quote of E2,800 for: a 2nd hand engine block from a supplier they have never had problems with(E1,200), a new clutch (clutch assembly), a flywheel (E525), oil, labour (E460) & vat - would also check it meets NCT.

I called another garage and was offered the following: clutch E170, flywheel (says he has a spare one knocking around, so free), reconditioned engine E1,650, towing of my car to and from the house.

When I called my own garage and told them the competing price (ok, it's not like for like but for me it's 'whatever it takes to get the car roadworthy) he said 'go for the other offer, we can't match it' but could do it for E2,600 instead. He went on to say that he hasn't seen the engine yet that they have for my car but that it has a clutch with it - and if it's good it would reduce my bill by a good E300-E400.... he'll only know when he sees the engine... So the final bill could be around E2,200....

He's to tell me on Tues what I would owe for work to date if I was to take the car back now and stop works. Last time I saw the car the clutch and flywheel were on the ground - so they're not installed.

BTW I phoned a third garage told him my story and he said 'I thought I'd heard them all'....

My gut instinct is that the folks in the garage are decent and honest fellas. His first reaction when I told him of comparative prices was a surprised 'go with them' - not in a nasty fashion but genuinly surprised and helpful.

They also seemed flumoxed by problems with the car. I do feel that I've had a load of bad luck....maybe I'm naive....?

well, thanks for the info,,

im a bit stuck myself now in what to tell you,, funny how they did not know when they removed the clutch and flywheel that the shaft was also a problem instaed of putting it back together and driving it to find out..

end of the day,, you must need an engine,,

get the second hand one,, use the best clutch, one that comes with the other engine or the new one,,

there most likely will be no history of when the timing belt was changed on other engine,, do this prior to fitting..

hope it all works out and maybe it will run well form here on,, and i guess check oil regularly..

sorry cant be more help,,

Back