Moore film will topple Bush

..........(couldn't be bothered)

Yeah whatever - trueburp/rainyday. Did you also know that three of the judges have direct connections with Miramax the producers of the film... in other words they have a lot of money riding on this film.

I hope there is a massive backlash against this guy and his phony cronies.

re

You hope so but you'll be wrong...as usual.

What's new eh.

the truth is out

The truth is out now True Blue. Your hero is gonna be shown for what he really is.

...couldn't

Trueburp/rainyday……… Michael Moore is not my hero..doh! But you are right the truth will come out about this guy and his lies and how he has duped millions into believing him (while at the same time raking in the millions himself) Ah well as the saying goes: ‘ It is true that you may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all of the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.’ From your previous posting I say you belong to the second group of people as mentioned in this quoted. Don’t worry rainyday there’s millions and I mean millions of ye out there. You are not alone. Chow!

Bluz…

breakfast anyone?

Not the brightest this morning are we TB?
By your hero I was referring to Bush.

We'll see who was right come the elections eh? Don't run away now y'here.

Wasn't that statistic that Bush was on vacation 42% of the time in the 9 months before 911. WOW...what a leader.

Re: breakfast anyone?

Hi TrueBlue - Just for the record, I'm not TrueBurp. If you want proof if this, please ask Brendan to do some IP address tracking.

Your exaggerated view of your own importance must have led you to believe that my life is focussed on scoring points in endless debates with you. However, I gave up long ago on any possibility of having a rational discussion with you. So I just ignore your postings now.

TB. M.Moore

...when you say "he has duped millions into believing him "...do you think he did it by putting forward incorrect information or because the audience that he aims for is already perverted to start off with?

Did you read any of his books, watch any of the docs so that you can maybe give me an example of duping?

Moore

Interesting piece by Declan Lynch in yesterday's Sunday Indo, as follows........

THE following is a brief extract from Stupid White Men, Michael Moore's international bestseller: "The British media offer a wide spectrum of editorial viewpoints. No-one is left out of the political discourse in the UK except the Catholics of Northern Ireland.

"As with the Palestine situation, I'm not going to spend time rehashing 800 years of history, so let me get right to the present conundrum. Catholics in Northern Ireland are second-class citizens whose rights are constantly violated, who are kept on the lowest tier economically, and who live under the thumb of an occupational force of British soldiers. This has led to a lot of random killing in the last 33 years."

This is chilling stuff, especially for those of us who believe that Moore is bringing something to the party. In fact, anyone with a passing interest in politics should have a grudging respect for Moore, as he has effectively become the Opposition in the world's greatest democracy - and that was before his current triumph at the Cannes Film Festival with Fahrenheit 9/11, a two-hour savaging of Bush which Disney refuses to distribute, allegedly fearing the wrath of Governor Jeb Bush in Florida.

This is the same Jeb who won Florida for brother George, but who won it ugly, so ugly that Moore refuses to talk about the re-election of Bush, insisting with admirable bloody-mindedness that he wasn't elected in the first place.

So why don't we love Michael Moore the way we should? What is wrong with Michael Moore?

Of course, while some of us have our doubts, there are many who hate him unconditionally, and many who love him unconditionally. Such people are not to be taken seriously.

As regards the misgivings which any reasonable person might have, I guess that little synopsis of the plight of the "Catholics" in Northern Ireland goes a long way towards explaining them.

It is simplistic, it is ignorant, it is stupid, it is wrong-headed, it is all the things which George Bush is, according to Michael Moore. And when we get to that shocking cop-out line - "This has led to a lot of random killing in the last 33 years" - we could justifiably call Michael Moore a big fat liar: except, in order to tell a lie, you have to have some awareness of the truth.

On the most charitable reading, it's just a throwaway line on a subject that doesn't interest him enough to get it right. He's twisting it for humorous effect, and that is his style.

But as someone who has done a little work in this area, I would say that a piece with a humorous edge probably demands more accuracy than a straight piece, not less.

Humour works on the basis of recognition, so it follows that a reader will only recognise that which, at some level, is already known to be true, or which is shown to be true. And Moore's contribution is probably less true than any statement about the North since the last missive from the Crossmaglen branch of Oglaigh na hEireann.

Admittedly, the North is far from being the main item on Moore's agenda, but, as with Bush and Blair, it is often these unguarded statements which are most revealing.

Forget about WMDs, I began to regard Blair as a pathological liar when he claimed that he watched Jackie Milburn from the terraces at Newcastle (sorry, Tony, wrong era). He also told journalist Dion Fanning that he read Veronica Guerin's articles every week, as if no Sunday at Chequers was complete without Tony passing to Cherie the latest article on the General's colourful love life, or Tony checking out the activities of the Viper, the Tosser and the Coach.

I suppose he was only trying to say that he admired Veronica, but he just had to gild the lily, as it were. To lie, as it were, when there was absolutely no need for it.

And, since then, I find it hard to believe almost anything Tony Blair says, about anything.

Likewise, when Moore is so wrong about something I happen to know about, how am I supposed to buy his line about the Middle-East ?

There is no moral equivalence here, we expect better from Moore than from the unelected Bush. It is also cringe-inducing to think of Moore being hailed by the luvvies on their yachts at Cannes. The great Hunter S Thompson, the last American journalist to mount such a sustained and brutal assault on a President, would despise all that carry-on.

Thompson also had a large following who preferred to think of their man as a recluse, holed up in his cabin in Woody Creek, drinking, drugging, heavily armed. Thompson was massively abusive about Nixon, describing him as "a lust-maddened werewolf", and "a plastic little fart". But he wrote majestically, and he would take a dim view of Moore preaching to the converted about the "stupidity" of Bush, because that itself is deeply stupid.

There's a war going on, and Moore is winning. But he's winning ugly.

re

Catholics in Northern Ireland are second-class citizens whose rights are constantly violated, who are kept on the lowest tier economically, and who live under the thumb of an occupational force of British soldiers. This has led to a lot of random killing in the last 33 years.

It's also true. Nothing in that statement is a lie.
The killings were very often random.

Nice post Quentin, but it's flawed. Moore might not have the same appreciation of NI as you but...no lies above.

Re: re

Hi Rainyday,

S/he reminds me of the type of comments you’d make, that’s all. There’s no need to get upset about it.

Also, if you gave up trying to have any rational argument with me why are you now trying to debate with me the fact that you are not trueburp? That’s not very rational now is it?

Here are the names of the three judges that have multi million pound interests with Miramax. Strange that the film tries and brand Bush quilty by association when the judges themselves thru their own business interests are after tainting their own objectivity!
Ha ha ha!

President: Quentin Tarentino. Quentin's and Miramax go back a long way.
Member with multi-million dollar Miramax deal: Tsui Hark.
Member who has directed and has an open contract for two films to be financed by Miramax: Jerry Shatzberg.

Also notice the hypocrisy of Moore again.

1. The gun lobby causes violence in America…..as far as Moore is concerned yet Quentin T has made some of the most violent graphic films going. And I’m sure these films would have more influence on people than anything that comes out of the NRA.

2. Moore wants to give the impression that Americans are lazy, fat, smelly, ugly, ignorant and are prone to thrown hissy fits. Yet if any American fits into this category well step right up Michael Moore! (This really suits the Irish stereotypical view of Americans but guess what folks we can’t stand their stereotypical view of us!)

3. Moore constantly criticizes big business but he doesn’t mind sharing the same pillow with them usually when millions are involved.

4. Moore also knew that Disney would not distribute the film but this is exactly what he wanted all the publicity going and unfortunately left wing fools have played into his grumpy hands.

Re: re

Hi True Blue - I had actually typed out a rational response to your comments, but I've deleted it. I'm not going to fall into your trolling trap.

Regards - RainyDay

TB wrong again

You have a an amazing ability to be wrong TB.

'Also notice the hypocrisy of Moore again.

1. The gun lobby causes violence in America…..as far as Moore is concerned yet Quentin T has made some of the most violent graphic films going. And I’m sure these films would have more influence on people than anything that comes out of the NRA.'

If you'd actually watched his documentary you'd have seen that the most violent video games are made in Japan. Very little violence there. Canada is right beside the states yet doesn't have it's crime or gun killings. They watch the same violent movies. Violence in art (in whatever form) doesn't carry over to violence in reality.

TrueBurp 6,524
True Blue Big fat zero

Bush

The fact is, Saddams regime was horiffic, and he supported terrorism outside his country.

I think America and Britain were right to go in to Afghanistan and Iraq in an effort to find Bin Laden / flush out terrorism etc. Its neither popular nor profitable, but they have to try to avoid future attacks like 9/11 on the west. M16 and the CIA are bound to know more than these anti Bush people

Michael Moore

yeah, Michael Moore does look at things in a simplistic way, but that is his strength, as he does (generally ) back up what he says. Moore's value isn't that he is a guru, with all the answers. His value is that he is a voice for the opposition in the US.

Can anything be more powerful than his knocking on front doors in Canada and finding them unlocked? (Bowling for Columbine)

Let people read his books and see his films - at least they are being exposed to alternatives , and they can always make up their own minds about him.

Re: Bush

" M16 and the CIA are bound to know more than these anti Bush people"

Like they did with WMD :\

I think America and Britain were right to go in to Afghanistan and Iraq in an effort to find Bin Laden / flush out terrorism etc.

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the
people some of the time. And that's just long enough to be
elected President of the USA"
-Spike Milligan

They were more likely to find Osama Bin Laden in my living room than in Iraq. (Note to FBI man reading this post- he's not in my living room either).

-Rd

moore has also made completely ridiculous claims about the ozone layer and confuses the kyoto treaty with the very successful montreal treaty. i found this disturbing because i was enjoying his book until i started reading his opinions on something i knew a little bit about (the hole in the ozone layer). he is either very sloppy, lazy or doesn't really care a huge deal about sticking rigidly to facts. in any case, i wouldn't bother reading moore to find out about american politics. there are plenty of proper liberal journalists and authors in america who write well researched and interesting stuff. the first chapter of "stupid white man" is entertaining enough; most of the rest of it is a waste of time.

stupid white men

I agree with dara. SWM wasnt a very good read, purely as a book review, I could tell from the third chapter the butler did it.
Come to think of it, bowling for columbine was the same. Watched it on dvd about a month ago after hearing so much. Again, first 45mins-hour was decent but I didnt really get anything else out of it. Even the heston piece wasnt particularly gratifying to watch. It was getting boring at that stage.

Gimme Bill Bryson anyday of the week. Just finishing "A short history.." at the moment. They should make schools put this book in as required reading.

Re: stupid white men

darag - who would you recommend instead of Michael M then to read ?

Should say I like Michael Moore's style and general drift, but he's not always the hottest on details and facts.

Back