Monthly Debt

• Thread starter alittleknowledge
  • Start date
A

alittleknowledge

I heard somwhere that you should try to keep your monthly debt (on outstanding loans/mortgage etc...)under 30% of your net income. While I understand your lifestyle would have an impact on this figure, is there any truth in this?

I remember this approx figure being given by banks etc years ago when calculating if you could afford a mortgage, not too sure it applies anymore, but as you say it depends on your lifestyle and other financial commitments.

re ; Monthly debt

30% is no indication of anything. For example there is a big difference between someone earning €120K pa and someone earning €50K per annum as regards the 30% indicator. remember there is only so much money you can spend on things like groceries / utility bills etc, so a 50% debt level may well be more appropriate for someone on a higher level. as has been said it depends purely on individual circumstances

Should cost of childcare be taken into account when working out the percentages Mortgage on it's own only about 20% but including childcare costs it goes up to 40%!!!!

Re: childcare and affordability

I know that Ulster Bank, for example, do take childcare expenditure into account.

This strikes me as outrageous - if a couple wish to spend their money on quality chilcare as opposed to a posh car or a couple of foreign holidays annually, just how does this make them a poor default risk? Bloody banks......

childcare

I don't see why the banks shouldn't take this into account; certainly when I was looking for a mortgage 18 months ago the banks didn't and were offering me huge amounts which I couldn't repay, mainly due to the cost of childcare. After all, you might take a holiday once and rack up debt, but childcare costs go on and on and on and on ..... to the end of primary school at least and maybe even beyond.

Back