Mobile Phones while driving.

clareG

I counted 25 drivers on mobiles while driving on the M50 to work this morning. Maybe that should be queing on M50 this morning. No Gardai giving penalty points here.!

The gardai are the best one's for chatting on mobiles while driving. Saw another one yesterday!

I know its illegal but I have been tempted myself when doing 10 km/h.

I am also completely confused by the law. I thought it was illegal ages ago to use the phone while driving. Then during the summer they announced it was realy illegal. Then they announced that, from 1 September, you could get points on your licence for it. Is it really really really illegal now, or should we await another announcement?

Think that it wasn't specifically illegal, though you would have been done under careless driving legislation if caught. Now, if you're caught you will get points and a fine.
Buy a bluetooth, much handier and my universal set cost £20 odd quid in carphone warehouse (ownbrand, but never had a problem).

What's involved in fitting the bluetooth thingy? (spot the technophobe!) No danger of it jinxing up the electronics in the car is there?

Won't impact the car electronics, your handset should be bluetooth enabled, presumably any handset made in the past 2/3 yrs is. Ask them in the shop anyway and they'll let you know. You can get handset specific models, but they seem more expensive and i have never had any problems with my generic model. Very simple to use once you've done it once, if you can handle d'internet you can handle bluetooth.

I seen a woman driving while her passenger held the phone to the woman drivers ear. Is this legal?

I seen a woman driving while her passenger held the phone to the woman drivers ear. Is this legal?
Sounds legal to me.
I just hope with all the neck craning that's going on, that you're all paying due attention to the road:rolleyes:

I spotted people doing the following yesterday, are any of these illegal?

1) Reading newspaper
2) Eating chocolate bar
3) Drinking Tea / Coffee
4) Putting on make-up
5) Shaving

Fintan,
None of the activities you mention are illegal in the Republic of Ireland.
aj

1) Reading newspaper
2) Eating chocolate bar
3) Drinking Tea / Coffee
4) Putting on make-up
5) Shaving

Done as a singular activity

Not illegal as yet!! ;)

While driving
They're not illegal persay...but a garda may decide to do you for driving with undue care and attention/dangerous driving if he was in that sort of mood.

1) Reading newspaper
2) Eating chocolate bar
3) Drinking Tea / Coffee
4) Putting on make-up
5) Shaving
Were you taking a note of licence plates and activities as you drove? It's probably best to take pictures if at all possible, in fact them wee video's like the cops use in them real life cop shows things would be ideal - anyone know where they can be obtained??

No, I don't think so, but it may depend on the nature of the case.

It's not just holding a mobile phone while driving that is now illegal by the way, supporting or cradling it with another body part will get you a fine and points. For example, holding the phone between your head and neck, driving with the phone on your lap, etc. Furthermore, having the phone on loudspeaker and holding it with your hands on the wheel is also illegal.

On another note, the change in the law regarding driving with mobile phones has implications for employment rights. Particularly in relation to those who work from or travel about in their car.

1) Reading newspaper
2) Eating chocolate bar
3) Drinking Tea / Coffee
4) Putting on make-up
5) Shaving

Were they doing all at the same time?

Were you taking a note of licence plates and activities as you drove? It's probably best to take pictures if at all possible, in fact them wee video's like the cops use in them real life cop shows things would be ideal - anyone know where they can be obtained??
If you used your camera phone to take pictures/videos of the offending drivers, would you be breaking the law?

Drive a Toyota Yaris, without mobile phone kit.

Jam mobile phone within steering wheel (between wheel and centre column) and operate loudspeaker on same - works a treat..........

If you used your camera phone to take pictures/videos of the offending drivers, would you be breaking the law?
For doing your civic duty - i don't think so!
Presumably as long as you don't keep your hands off the steering wheel for too long there shouldn't be a problem, probably should limit it to 10s clips:)

1) Reading newspaper
2) Eating chocolate bar
3) Drinking Tea / Coffee
4) Putting on make-up
5) Shaving

If done at the same time it had to be a woman, don't know about the shaving though :) .

For doing your civic duty - i don't think so!
Presumably as long as you don't keep your hands off the steering wheel for too long there shouldn't be a problem, probably should limit it to 10s clips:)

so by the same logic it's probably okay to limit making/taking calls to 10 seconds also? or 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off or something?

so by the same logic it's probably okay to limit making/taking calls to 10 seconds also? or 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off or something?
Yeah, i suppose so, though, what i would do is also take account of driving conditions and the type of road I was driving on. For example on a fine summers day whilst cruising the motorways, i'd maybe extend the time off the wheel to 20s, but on a wet and windy night driving on small windy country roads i'd reduce the time with my hands off the wheel to about 4s.

Back