Mobile phone mast- Planning objection

Hi Mary

I followed your link as I got the impression that you found something to worry about.

ComReg surveys the masts and posts the results on their website for all to read.

I just read one and it says
Overall Conclusions of Survey
Total Exposure Quotient: Compliant

I presume that this is what the Consumer Line is telling you. They have surveyed 1,000 masts and have not yet found one operating above the guidelines.

I am not sure what would satisfy you? Do you want an independent 24-7 monitor watching every mast in the country?

Brendan

Mast surveys

Brendan- appreciate your feedback.

Not looking for special advice to make me happy! Just surprised that out of over 1000 surveys that all was perfect- this is a large sample and one would might expect that a mast might have had technical problems that required correction after survey- at least that would show that the system works!

You will have noted that a lot less surveys are undertaken these days for increased numbers of masts- so yes- it is surprising that nothing resulted from all Comreg's research...

Nothing more- nothing less! - Just strange...

I am not aware of another statutory agency that records 100% compliance all all times over such an extended period with its registrants...

Finally, when I asked who I might quote as stating that there was 100% compliance they said 'we will get back to you!'...

Hi Mary

Is it that surprising that there is 100% compliance?

one would might expect that a mast might have had technical problems that required correction after survey

I am not familiar with the technology, but I suspect that it's not as subject to human intervention and therefore human error as say an incinerator.

The phone companies probably monitor it themselves and self-correct quickly.

The bottom line though is that people can rest assured that they are not being subjected to continuous high levels of radiation from phone masts. They might object to them on other planning grounds, but this should not be a reason.

Brendan

What I find funny is that without the new mast mobile phones in the area would have to emit MORE emr to contact a more distant mast..

Hi Mary

Is it that surprising that there is 100% compliance?

I am not familiar with the technology, but I suspect that it's not as subject to human intervention and therefore human error as say an incinerator.

The phone companies probably monitor it themselves and self-correct quickly.

The bottom line though is that people can rest assured that they are not being subjected to continuous high levels of radiation from phone masts. They might object to them on other planning grounds, but this should not be a reason.

Brendan

I am familiar with the technology and you are pretty much spot on. There's a few fail safes in the radio base stations, and the operators would very quickly see if there is a hike in energy usage.
The telco's itself don't have interested in putting out too much wattage, as it simply costs money. The radio grids are also planned in a way that the coverage can be maintained without going over any allowed limits.
Doesn't mean that things cannot go wrong, but they tend to be rectified quickly.

Masts

Many thanks for feedback- agree with comments- but wouldn;t expect operators to publicly advise regarding issues...

Back