Missing Children Descriptions - Too PC ?

Pique318

I saw a report in one of the papers lately about a girl who was missing and an appeal was issued to the public for their help.

She was desceribed as 5'2", dark hair and brown eyes, wearing a blue hoodie with jeans and white trainers (or something along those lines).

There was a pretty pertinent piece of information that they left out.

She is black.

I know a good many people who would fit that description who are white. I can't understand why her skin colour wasn't mentioned as it would immediately narrow the field for those who hadn't seen the picture (as many appeals to help find missing people are also issued on the radio).

Are the authorities more worried about offending those who basically 'want' to be offended, that they leave out important descriptive features ?

I can't work it out.

I don't believe it was PC, had to be a mistake
Gardaí want it resolved as soon as possible, management are just consumed with their stats ;)
There is no reason they would deliberately leave it out
To report a missing person in the case of emergency, contact any Garda Station and provide as much relevant information as possible including:

Name
Height
Build
Hair colour
Date person was last seen
Where person was last seen
What person was wearing when last seen
Any other relevant personal details or information
A recently taken photograph if available
I would have thought it would be up near the top this list
Maybe someone was working off a standard checklist and left it off.

As for the current list
http://www.garda.ie/MissingPersons/Default.aspx
If you skip through a few pages most seem to have Chinese names. Well I don't know their exact country but that's my guess
What's going on? :confused:

I saw a report in one of the papers lately about a girl who was missing and an appeal was issued to the public for their help.

She was desceribed as 5'2", dark hair and brown eyes, wearing a blue hoodie with jeans and white trainers (or something along those lines).

There was a pretty pertinent piece of information that they left out.

She is black.

I know a good many people who would fit that description who are white. I can't understand why her skin colour wasn't mentioned as it would immediately narrow the field for those who hadn't seen the picture (as many appeals to help find missing people are also issued on the radio).

Are the authorities more worried about offending those who basically 'want' to be offended, that they leave out important descriptive features ?

I can't work it out.

I have noticed this before here. It would of course be more comprehensive if they included a white/black or caucasian/asian or whatever is appropiate in the description.

It's funny how trying to be PC can cause problems and/or have unintended consequences.

Americans use the word Caucasian to describe white people. This is of course incorrect as many dark skinned people are caucasian and the phrase, ironically, has racist undertones since it was first used in a racial context by the German philosopher Christoph Meiners. He had two racial groups; Mongolians (black, ugly, stupid etc) and caucasians (white, smart, beautiful etc).

If you skip through a few pages most seem to have Chinese names.
Chinese takeaway?

Joking aside, the way this 'Child Rescue Ireland Alert' is being reported on RTÉ today one might think that there is a wave of child abductions and that the Guards are gonna do something (about a non-existent problem) . . this nonsense will simply serve to worry parents unnecessarily. What next for our intrepid Minister & Commissioner? Perhaps an alien abduction hotline . . but everyone knows that they've already learned all they can from anal probing.

Chinese takeaway?

Joking aside, the way this 'Child Rescue Ireland Alert' is being reported on RTÉ today one might think that there is a wave of child abductions and that the Guards are gonna do something (about a non-existent problem) . . this nonsense will simply serve to worry parents unnecessarily. What next for our intrepid Minister & Commissioner? Perhaps an alien abduction hotline . . but everyone knows that they've already learned all then can from anal probing.

:confused: Too much sun?

exactly...they're bloody paranoid to state a crucial descriptive feature for fear of being branded 'racist'.

Back