Misleading Customer references on Website

daveco23

Company A went out of Business and Company B was set up shortly after by family members of director of company A. Company B is using Company A's website to advertise and is using the same customer references that company A had, with the names changed eg - " I now have a much better product thanks to company b"

who can I report this to? I was very badly stung by company A and take exception to company b promoting themselves on the back of company A - especially when they are using references on their website where the work was done by company A. IE - Company b did not do any of the work they claim to have done on their website.

Hope this makes sense.

Maybe start with the liquidator of company A, as he/she should own the company A website?

There is legislation against "phoenix companies" as they are called i.e. miraculously rising out of the ashes of another liquidated company.

I don't think there is any anti phoenixing legislation.

Company A may not have been liquidated. They may have simply dissolved company A or changed the name of company A to the new name B.

You can check company registrations on the CRO website.

The [broken link removed] deals with breaches of company law. It is possible to make a complaint to the ODCE. see the website for further details.

Exactly Dachshund...the ODCE should be your first port of call. They do take complaints more seriously if you're willing to go on record. The director of Company A may be acting as a shadow director and influencing Company B. Whatever's happening, from what you've described it's dodgy.

I don't think there is any anti phoenixing legislation.

Company A may not have been liquidated. They may have simply dissolved company A or changed the name of company A to the new name B.

Company a was liquidated in april. Company b was incorporated a month before that - New reg number, directors, etc. Director of company a is definately influencing company b as directors of B are his wife and daughter, who have no knowledge of the industry.
I have contacted the liquidators of A wrt to what is going on. (I am a creditor of A). Also contacted advertising standards. Also included website issue in complaint to ODCE about comapny conduct in General.

Last edited:
I wonder did company B buy company A's assets from the liquidator for some nominal sum?

I wonder did company B buy company A's assets from the liquidator for some nominal sum?

A liquidator must dispose of the assets for the benefit of creditors per the requiements of the Companies Acts 1963-2006. They cannot make "nominal value" disposals.

Back