minors travelling alone

forgotten

what is the best way for two young children, 9 and 8 years old, to travel from ireland to usa on their own ? which airlines have have guidelines for this and supervision of the children or is it even possible?

I think you will have to contact whatever airline you are using and ask about their specific rules on this.

Is there no way of having someone travel with them? They sound young to be expected to make a trip of that distance alone.

I think they are too young to travel alone - is against most airline's rules and possibly illegal in some places. I'd also guess that two children that age would have difficulty getting through immigration.

i know they are too young to travel alone but thought airline might have procedures in place for this kind of thing,have no intention of letting them travel alone without supervision. worried sick about it but it is what it is.

Well then you'd be best to check with whatever airline you are planning to use and find out what the proper procedure is and if they cater for it.

According to their website, Aer Lingus to not allow unaccompanied minors. 12 is the minimum age for unaccompanied travel.

They used to provide a service for unaccompanied minors which they charged for, but this was discontinued a few years ago.

i do intend to check the airlines. just wanted to know if anybody had gone through this already and what their thoughts about it were.
they have american passports so thats not a problem.

just checked with american airlines and they do allow children to travel alone, they supply a companion to travel with them for an extra 100 euros each way.
i have alot of thinking to do before i book.

I presume the companion is an american airlines employee?

How far will they take them from/to? At what point do they meet the companion? Will they get them right through on the other side to the person who is waiting to collect them?

If the companion is only someone who sits with them on the plane its not worth much, thats probably the safest part of the whole trip. Its the getting through airport security, finding the gate, boarding, getting on/off the plane, clearing immigration, going through to baggage reclaim, collecting bags and finding the way through to arrivals that is the hard part.

I presume the companion is an american airlines employee?

How far will they take them from/to? At what point do they meet the companion? Will they get them right through on the other side to the person who is waiting to collect them?

If the companion is only someone who sits with them on the plane its not worth much, thats probably the safest part of the whole trip. Its the getting through airport security, finding the gate, boarding, getting on/off the plane, clearing immigration, going through to baggage reclaim, collecting bags and finding the way through to arrivals that is the hard part.

One of the air hostesses does it. You fill out a form with the details of the person who's collecting them. When the check in desk closes, you've to be there with the child. The air hostess will take them through then and help with all security checks etc. Then on the far side the person collecting the child brings their id and signs the child over from the air hostess.. I've never done it trans-atlantic, but my kids are half french, so i've sent them to Their grand parents in France this way..

Back