Minor Aerothermal Freak Out...Help!

Bobbins

Hi All,

Hope I'm not doubling up on previous posts but couldn't find any conclusive opinions on Aerothermal heating systems. We are nearing the end of our housebuild and will be installing an air to water heat pump in January. I have read some negative comments about them on some fairly old posts here and was wondering if any of you have installed one recently and if so what has your experience of them been like?
Having read the negative reviews I am beginning to panic!! We spent months researching Geothermal/wood pellet/aerothermal and finally decided on Aerothermal due to the unsuitability of our land for geothermal..Thought we had made the right decision.....:eek:
Any views would be greatly appreciated......

We moved into our new house a month ago, we have aerothermal and so far its fine. No complaints so far but I cant really comment until the first fully fledged ESB bill arrives. We have a few rads running off the system and the majority of the house has underfloor. The rads do an ok job but never get as hot as a standard boiler run rad but they are more than up to the job, the underfloor is much better. The heat pump is about the size as a fridge and about that noisy, the constant hot water is great but if I were designing a house from scratch I would combine the aerothermal with some solar collectors. By doing that you would not need to boost the hot water temperature as much (uses ESB) and would gain significantly on electricty costs.

Phew! Thanks John, you've eased my mind somewhat. Our system will work entirely on UFH but we were told that we didn't need to bother with Solar Panels although we had intended on installing them prior to that advice, oh well, I think we may be able to retro fit them down the line if needs be...I think!
Thanks again :)

We make SIP panel houses, here in Galway, and have a pair of semi-D's as showhouses - both have aerothermal. We have a separate meter on the heat systems to monitor costs.

B2 rating, 99sq m in size, ufh, aerothermal for all space and dhw - cost at the moment (cold) Eur75/month, down to 50/month in 'summer'........whatever that is!

Works very well - the value you need to judge for yourself.

Thanks Galway...as you say, we'll have to judge the value once it's in..scary tho considering cost...am petrified that it won't work...!!!

Back